Inbox: There's no telling where he goes from here

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
zl8nf3lwiy5g1sijrtb8

Ryan from Somerset, WI

Kenneth from Greenfield should just turn in his underappreciated uniform and become a fan of all the Florida teams. They change their jerseys all the time, if that's what he cares about. Winners don't change...Green Bay, New England, Pittsburgh, New York Giants, Cowboys, etc. Big chunk of the Super Bowl wins in that list with no major jersey changes. Start cheering for Tampa Bay, trust me they have shirts for you.

But no soup. Definitely no soup for you.

Ron from Waukesha, WI

With seven Day 3 picks on their card, will Gutekunst and his team spend more time evaluating the bottom halve of the draft pool? In 2007, with three sixth-round picks, Thompson hit on Korey Hall, Desmond Bishop and Mason Crosby. With the salary cap tight and our first pick at No. 30, that's the kind of draft we need this year to take the next step forward.

No argument there on the value of hitting on late-round opportunities, but Gutekunst & Co. will evaluate the draft as they always do and grade/rank the players as always. They can never know when a trade could present itself to take advantage of where their board sits. The draft is all about maximizing value, and that can occur by hitting on the picks you have, or by using that draft capital to maneuver to find the best value.

Chuck from Antigo, WI

Will the Packers trade up or down or stay pat with their first pick?

Nothing's off the table, but I think the latter two options are the most likely.

Michelle from Ringgold, GA

Who will be the breakout player for the Packers in 2020?

The easy answer, as mentioned often already, is Jace Sternberger. Depending on your definition of "breakout player," I'm wondering if it's going to be Darnell Savage. There's no telling where he goes from here.

Kevin from Clane, Kildare, Ireland

Hi, how is Cole Madison's recovery going? With all the draft talk excitement and taking positions here and there, he's not really had a mention as a jar on the shelf. I'd love to see what he can do. I really enjoyed watching him play at Washington State and would love to see more of him, injury willing, at the next level.

I've heard no updates on Madison. His injury occurring in mid-November will make it difficult for him to be ready for training camp, but we'll just have to see.

Dex from Madison, WI

Back in the day, the practice squad was known as the taxi squad, and then sometimes, cleverly, the cab squad. Why the change and what's the difference? I'd advocate for a return to calling it taxi squad or even the more updated Uber squad. And btw, hope your time off gave you a Lyft.

Groaning aside, my understanding is the original "taxi squad" got its name because the first team to create one, Cleveland, put the reserve players on the payroll of the owner's taxi company.