Inbox: There's only one way to find out

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
pubc4wdionyfhoelzgu0

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

The Inbox certainly is far flung. Thoughtful contributors from Australia, Denmark and the UK on Monday make me thrilled to be a Packer Backer!

And makes me yearn to travel again.

Mark from Appleton, WI

Since there will be no fans allowed at the practice field this year, are you planning on having more videos on the website, maybe more analysis of the players (especially the new ones) by Larry during training camp? Any additional coverage would be appreciated.

We're taking things one day at a time right now. But yes, our hope is we'll have tons of stories, videos and analysis to keep everyone in the loop. With any luck, we'll have "Unscripted" up and running, too, in the next week or so.

Brandon from Vacaville, CA

Interested in your thoughts. Can football's unique work week help keep the football season afloat? One game per week, players can get tested each Wednesday and results in time for games to adjust. Practice is an all-day affair, going home after a long day, keep players at home? Only gone two nights for away games. Only have to worry about players sneaking out of hotels eight nights all season? Or do players still party? Learn from baseball and we can do it!

I'm not a player, coach or scout but I can tell you what happened with MLB was a reminder of how precarious this whole thing is. That's why it's imperative to take the right precautions and stay on top of it at all times. You can't blink. Players have to stay accountable to not only each other, but also each other's families. The advantage I see the NFL having is its season is starting on time and not playing catch-up like other major sports have had to do. That gives it greater flexibility. The NFL also has fewer games to get in. What I fear with baseball's tight window is it's going to run out of time to get all these makeup games in.

Jerry from Erie, PA

I hope you have a great day today! My question is do you think the NFL and team owners know something the average Joe does not about the COVID? Do you think they may have a heads-up on when a vaccine can be started? Do you think they are trying to hold on until around November when they may feel a vaccine will be ready? Marquez Valdes-Scantling had a very good yards per catch last year, I think. Maybe this year all he needs is to be consistent? Packers Super Bowl champs this year!

I hope you're having a great day, too, Jerry. Unless there's an owner out there with ties to pharmaceutical companies, I think everyone is in the same boat right now. The phrase you keep hearing is "cautious optimism." As far as Marquez Valdes-Scantling, this is a huge year – and opportunity – for him. If I'm the Packers, I turn on Davante Adams' 2015 film and remind MVS one season does not define him. This 2020 campaign is his chance to write the real story.

Darrel from Pueblo, CO

II, I accept BG's position that none of the WRs he liked were there when the Pack was on the clock. Do you think Equanimeous St. Brown and Allen Lazard will make a significant jump and fill the bill for WR2?

I see Lazard as the No. 2 receiver until proven otherwise. He was the most consistent performer outside of Davante Adams last year. He showed toughness, resiliency and an ability to bring down contested catches. That being said, St. Brown is also a guy I have my eye on. His arrow was pointing up at the end of his rookie season and he's still just 23 years old. The question is how quickly E.Q. can knock the rust off after being in idle for the past year?

Scott from Los Angeles, CA

The story everywhere is what a big mistake the Packers made not drafting a wide receiver in this past draft. In reality, especially this current situation, could a first- or second-round rookie wide receiver really have been an X factor? Why is this such a big story?

It would be hard, not impossible, but hard. That doesn't fit convenient narratives, though. Signing Devin Funchess was a sensible and smart thing for the Packers to do for this year's team, but sometimes life takes us in a direction we didn't anticipate.