Inbox: There are a lot of variables in the equation

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
yfuoodqc7mzqybjrbxi2

Eric from Kenosha, WI

There are four defensive tackles and two quarterbacks on the All-Decade Team. What team lines up four DTs? Brady and Aaron Rodgers are deserving but it is a shame Brees is not there with them. How are those numbers per position determined? Are they set or based on the votes?

The numbers are set, I think, unless there are ties in the voting. One difference this year is they didn't designate first-team and second-team selections, as they've done in the past. With the four defensive tackles you referenced, previously there were two on the first team and two on the second team. They also changed from selecting a fullback to an offensive "flex" position, otherwise John Kuhn might've made it.

Scott from Greensburg, IN

Comment not a question: Obviously, I understand the hype and such for creating "all-decade" teams using 2000-2009, 2010-2019, etc. I for one, however, have often wondered which players might have made an all-decade team from say a "6" year through a "5" year and so on. It just seems so many great players begin and end their careers, especially "their prime years," overlapping the "0" through the "9" they really don't have much of a chance to make such a team.

I'm not aware of any major injustices in that regard. Mack made this most recent team and he was a rookie in 2014. I think the voters do a pretty good job making sure someone significant isn't totally overlooked due to a technicality.

Mark from Toledo, OH

Tramon Williams has stated his preference to return to Green Bay next season. Do the Packers have shared interest in bringing him back? Or are they waiting until after the draft to see what potential DB prospects they add? From a leadership and ability standpoint, would certainly like to see him return in 2020 in the slot cornerback role.

As I mentioned in my live chat yesterday, I think a lot of teams are in wait-and-see mode with the draft regarding available veterans on the market.

Joey from Groveland, MI

If games are played without fans, how about three broadcasters in the booth? One neutral play-by-play guy (or gal), and two biased homers, one rooting for each team.

First, I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that. Second, and I'll probably regret saying this, but that doesn't sound like the craziest idea in the world, really.

Paul from Columbia Falls, MT

Do you have any insight into how the Packers operate on a typical draft day with Brian Gutekunst at the helm? Specifically, does he ask for people's opinions as situations develop? Is it a collaborative process right up until the pick? Or, for the most part has he assembled all the information he needs in the preparation leading up to the draft? And considering the special circumstances this year, is he fluent in modern technologies?

Gutekunst will be fine with whatever technology he needs to use. The vast majority of the debates and discussions take place in advance, to set the board. I think that's even more critical to get accomplished this year. Normally, various members of the personnel department are at the ready to give an opinion when asked, or play out a scenario mentally and verbally as something develops. Others are working the phones, fielding and/or soliciting trade offers, and reporting back. Someone is responsible for getting the pick on the phone if the decision has been made. It's all a very fluid process. I think communicating trade offers and scenarios will be the biggest difficulty in a fully virtual draft.

Christopher from Savage, MN

Spoff, I heard on the news that, along with a host of other considerations, MLB might use an "electronic strike zone" as part of their COVID-19 contingency options. What are your thoughts on that? If it goes well do you see it having staying power? I'd really miss some of the dramatic punch-out calls! Truly wild times. Stay safe out there!

Electronic strike zones are coming. They're inevitable. If this hastens their arrival, so be it.

Conor from Kouts, IN

I watched the Packers vs. Bears highlights from Week 1. On one particular play a Bears receiver caught a pass over the middle as he went to the ground. Darnell Savage was closing in when it seemed his college instincts kicked in. It looked as though he assumed the play was dead as the receiver's knee hit the ground. Luckily another defender made contact to officially rule it a tackle and end the play. Do you see rookies struggle with this rule alteration between college and the pros?

That'll happen with a rookie once a year or so. Usually it happens in a preseason game. I do remember the moment you're referencing and it reminded me of a play involving Jaire Alexander in his rookie preseason out in Oakland.

Bob from Rome, NY

Gentlemen, regarding top five receivers in Packers history, do Boyd Dowler and Carroll Dale get some votes?

Others asked about Dowler, too, and I think after the first four, it's very crowded amongst Nelson, Howton, Dowler, Dale, Freeman and maybe a couple of others for the fifth spot and beyond. I put Nelson and Howton slightly in front of the rest and give the edge to Nelson if forced to choose.