Inbox: There’s doing your job, and there’s going above and beyond

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
dcbbppjzexrwprjbmcuy

Jason from Austin, TX

Hey II, are items like rule changes discussed during the CBA negotiations?

No, rules are separate from labor issues.

Rich from Grand Rapids, MI

Allowing review of non-calls for PI is significant. With the auto-review of scoring and turnover plays, it appears to me that refs have erred in favor of the TO or score in order to allow for auto-review. This has resulted, in my view, with too many non-calls in favor of review. The problem is that the non-call skews the standard of review – if a camera does not catch it cleanly, the recovering/scoring team gains an advantage, one that has bothered me as a fan. Non-call reviews help avoid that.

In a sense. While I agree with your perspective on automatic reviews, these PI decisions are still going to give added weight to the call on the field. But there’s no err-on-the-side-of caveat here regarding the initial call, if that’s what you mean.

Dennis from Wisconsin Rapids, WI

The defense, with a healthy talent infusion and going into Year 2 in Pettine's scheme, should be markedly improved. The offense, sporting a new scheme and coaching staff, could have some growing pains. It may also have an advantage early on because opposing defenses won't have as much to go on with McCarthy gone. Those advantages and disadvantages could offset, but I'm thinking No. 12 will swing the results toward the positive side. I think we beat the Bears on Thursday night. Agree?

The opener is 161 days away. Baseball’s regular season starts today and the Brewers will be playing game 139 (against the Cubs, by the way) on Sept 5. Forgive me if I’m not going to be hung up on a prediction right now.

Rick from Pacifica, CA

Hey II, we know that some positions take longer to learn in the NFL. How about slot receiver? LaFleur mentioned something about liking bigger bodies in the slot that can take more punishment than someone Cobb's size. If a receiver in the draft that fit LaFleur's mold for a slot receiver fell to us and had shown that skill set in college, would it be too much to expect them to have a big impact the first year knowing how much precise route running and timing is critical in that role?

It would be a lot to ask. New offense or not, seeing the game the same way Aaron Rodgers does won’t happen overnight for any rookie receiver. From the slot or elsewhere, it didn’t for Nelson, Cobb, Adams, etc.

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

Welcome back Mike! Wes said, "Roquan Smith was enticing because there weren't any other linebackers quite like him in last year's draft." Are there any linebackers like him in this year's draft?

The Devins. White and Bush. Wherever they wind up, they’ll be compared down the road to Roquan.

Sean from Boulder, CO

Regarding Al's inquiry about rookie head coaches making Thursday night NFL season debuts, the last time it happened was 2008 when Jim Zorn's Washington team faced the Giants. Hopefully, that'll be the only parallel to Zorn our new coach has in the years ahead!

There we have it.

Eric from Crystal Lake, IL

The news that the AAF may not make it to Year 2 made me wonder: Why is it that minor league baseball leagues have been able to exist and make money for so long but other football leagues haven't been able to mirror that success?

The big boys in baseball are fully invested in their minor league operations. They need them, so they back them to survive. The NFL has college football. It doesn’t need a developmental system.

Dave from Lake Zurich, IL

A study done years ago concluded that the offensive line position had the lowest bust rate. Perhaps this is still the case.

If I recall, that study was focused solely on the first round of the draft. The Packers have had their share of success finding offensive linemen in the middle rounds, as we all know. If my choices are to lean toward a study or a guy I think might be the next Matthews, I’m not going to let a study sway me. If I’m choosing between the next Matthews and the next Munoz, that’s a different discussion.

Tom from Westfield, MA

Murphy is in favor of fourth-and-15 in lieu of onside kicks now, because he has Rodgers. How many owners do you think shot it down primarily because they would rather take their chances with traditional (albeit harder) onside, than give it to their QB of now or the unknown of their future QB. I see a distinct advantage to the fourth-and-15 for only a small handful of teams/QBs.

I don’t think that’s it at all. An average QB still has a better than 8 percent chance on fourth-and-15, which was the success rate of onside kicks last year. I think it’s the very word Murphy used in his comments – gimmicky – and I tend to agree. But we also know the owners don’t want fans turning off their TVs with three minutes left in a two-touchdown game. That ad at the two-minute warning is financial gold and must remain so. Stay tuned on this one.

Nate from Plymouth, MN

Come on, Insiders. You had to have known that putting out a prospect primer on a running back named Montgomery would lead to trouble.

Oh, we knew. There’s a reason I scheduled it to post while I was gone.

Marty from Rexford, MT

You get an inside view of the NFL. Is there any perspective you notice the players share that the fans just don't seem to understand?

That not every player is motivated by the same thing.

Jeff from Winnipeg, Manitoba

Winnie the Pooh was named after a real black bear named Winnie (short for Winnipeg). The bear traveled overseas during WWI and lived much of her life as a very popular animal in the London Zoo. She died in 1934 and was rumored to be a big Packer fan so a Packer game in Winnipeg seems apropos.

Now I’ve heard it all. We open with Oprah and Gallagher, and we close with Winnie the Pooh. If you can tie Eeyore and Piglet to the NFL, too, then I’ll be really impressed.

Marcus from Greenville, TX

Wes, isn't betting a good amount of Spoff's lunches really just you betting your own lunches?

I’m sure that was his point. Happy Thursday.

HAVE A QUESTION?