Inbox: They all just got an extra card

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
gkj6cjr57adjk24xt4p3

Michael from Fort Wayne, IN

Do you see any of the NFL COVID-19 protocols becoming permanent, such as no preseason games?

Not that one, but if the injuries in training camp are kept to a minimum, I could see the players pushing for a more extended ramp-up to full contact again. Changes to the food service, weight-room schedules, sanitization frequency, and the like also could become more the norm, especially when you think about how the stomach flu circulated through the Packers' locker room late last season.

Andy from Golden Valley, AZ

Can you share an optimistic scenario with Aaron Rodgers having another downfield option besides Davante Adams? I hope those that can provide have seen enough to know that Rodgers (needs) only an above-average second receiver to be a true contender for the league's MVP, not to mention how it would make any defense thinner. The Packers made the running game an element that requires attention and respect, something close to actually providing a few smiles and goose bumps. Let's put up the "greatest show on grass"!

I'm not anticipating a bona fide No. 2 receiver walking in off the street at this point. Craig from St. Paul made reference in an unpublished submission last week to the old Careers board game (one of my all-time favorites) and the "opportunity knocks" cards. We've talked all offseason, even with Devin Funchess in the mix, that opportunity has been knocking for Allen Lazard, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, and the rest to state their case for a role and a future in this league. They all just got an extra card, and the knock has gone from loud to deafening.

Declan from Houston, TX

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but 1. with the pandemic in near-full swing leading up to the draft, 2. the usual steep learning curve for and delay in WR productivity to Years 2 or 3, and 3. some inkling that practices and/or preseason reps were in jeopardy, do you think the powers that be devalued what would otherwise be high-ranking WRs in an attempt to circumvent the issue of getting a rookie WR game-ready?

No. Gutekunst made it pretty clear the receivers the Packers targeted as possible first-round picks were gone by the mid-20s, and the potential second-round targets were also gone by the time Green Bay was on the clock. After that, he didn't project any receivers in the draft to be significant upgrades over what the Packers already had.

Geoffrey from Rosemount, MN

Adams's 997-yard seasons are close enough to 1,000 to me to be considered a very solid season. Another somewhat strange (couldn't think of a better term) is Alvin Kamara having exactly 81 catches as a running back in all three of his professional seasons.

That's just weird. I looked it up just be sure, and yeah, wow. Interesting how his average yards per reception has steadily dropped, though, from 10.2 as a rookie to 8.8 and then 6.6 last year. Defenses are showing they're more and more prepared for that aspect of the New Orleans offense, not that the Saints don't have plenty of other wells to dip into, even as they keep feeding Kamara the ball.

Kristian from Aarhus, Denmark

It warms my heart to read Mr. Murphy's balanced, calm and nuanced reply to a reader about systemic racism. It just feels very comforting knowing that "my" team is led by an empathetic human being in touch with the world and one who also recognizes his platform from which to promote community. We need that. Have a wonderful day.

Mark Murphy is probably the most unflappable leader I've ever encountered. I suppose calling defensive signals in a Super Bowl, arguing cases at trial as a U.S. attorney, making a top-notch hire for a Big Ten football program after its coach suddenly and tragically dies, and working both sides of contentious NFL labor negotiations over the years, among other things, makes you pretty hard to rattle.