Inbox: They are who they were supposed to be…and more

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
f9oqm0y6ztlbwazj0olw

Guilherme from Lins, Brazil

Were Wes's article and the Rock Report video about Vernon Scott planned to be posted on the same day? I am excited about his versatility and what he can bring to special teams. About his role on defense, do you think the Packers see him in the slot corner race or is he set to play more as a safety and/or a hybrid linebacker?

That wasn't planned at all. In fact, the story got pushed up at the last minute from Friday to Wednesday because of another piece of content falling through. Scott finished his career at TCU as a strong safety but he's played everywhere. At 6-2, 205, he's also big enough to play in the box against the run. First and foremost, however, Scott needs to earn a spot on special teams before any of the defensive chatter is relevant, and he knows that.

Mark from Monrovia, CA

Good morning, Wes. Another great piece on Vernon Scott. I was thinking if he did have his pro day at TCU he probably wouldn't have been there at 236. Man, what a diamond in the rough. He sounds like a good kid and good fit on special teams. Thanks again for all your hard work. It's nice to get to know these young men since the offseason workouts aren't going on.

The Packers had the right approach with those two seventh-round picks. They drafted a 20-year-old pass rusher in Jonathan Garvin, whose best football is still ahead of him, and a senior safety in Scott, who only started one season at TCU and didn't get a pro day. There's a lot of upside there and that's what you're looking for in those late rounds.

Mike from Ames, IA

The No. 91 discussion (I miss Brian Noble, too) got me wondering – what Packer jersey number, aside from retired/soon-to-be-retired ones, has had the most combined success in the history of the franchise? Recently No. 52 and No. 80 come to mind for me. Also No. 75 has a strong Bulaga/Grady Jackson/Ken Ruettgers lineage that I really like.

I consider No. 36 sacred. It might not have the most combined success but LeRoy Butler, Nick Collins and Mike Michalske represent three of the most important eras in franchise history.

Daniel from Potosi, WI

It sounds like Jamaal Williams' time in Green Bay might be coming to an end. I hope not. Would it be better to have Jamaal Williams or Dexter Williams to go along with Aaron Jones and A.J. Dillon?

In February, Matt LaFleur made it clear he wants a third established back in the offense and he gets a good one in Dillon. Three months later, all the questions are about if this means the end of Aaron Jones and/or Jamaal Williams. How about we get the guys back to Green Bay and see how this backfield performs in its current form?

Paul from Colorado Springs, CO

Many-time questioner, perhaps first-time answered. Besides the first-round pick (no problem with Jordan Love, just think better players were available), I loved this draft class. Our three offensive linemen Jon Runyan, Jake Hanson, and Simon Stepaniak all have the ability to make impacts in the NFL and for the Packers. Do you think they were drafted to protect Rodgers into his twilight years, replace veterans on the O-line, or build a nucleus for the near future (a.k.a. Dallas)?

We gotta keep it all in perspective. We're talking about three sixth-round picks, not a bevy of first-rounders like the Cowboys once had. Realistically, the Packers drafted three guys with the hope one, maybe two, become contributors. That's all you can hope for on Day 3. What I do like about the O-line room, though, is the depth behind the starting five. Lane Taylor has been an established player in this league for a long time, Lucas Patrick is getting there, and you have Alex Light and Yosh Nijman coming back, as well.

Laura from Arlington, VA

What can teams do during these unprecedented times to prepare players, especially rookies, for the potential upcoming season?

I can't speak for the rest of the NFL but the Packers are doing everything they can.

William from Palmdale, CA

Wes: "NFL owners/coaches gave the officials an avenue last year to right a few wrongs, NY wanted no part of it." INTRIGUING! NY meaning the NFL replay official that decides, right?! Point: so, presumably that person doesn't want the officials second-guessed?! Who hasn't thought of what TV execs are hoping for other than increased audiences/more revenue; who has more to gain or lose? And what of can't we just get this right for the sake of the game and its integrity?

I don't know what the reasoning was for New York refusing to overturn PI after the first month of the season. Frankly, I've moved past it at this point.

Mike from Los Angeles, CA

I know the Packers always try to take high-character players in the draft, but do you feel an extra metric has to apply whether they can thrive in a cold-weather/small-town environment, too? If so, do you feel at times this can put us at a disadvantage when assembling our board? Or does it become more of a "Player X will be a superstar in a big market, but he's not a good fit for us" mentality?

I don't think either is that big of a deal anymore. Eddie Lacy grew up in Louisiana, played at Alabama and proved to be an ideal cold-weather back. Today, I think the small-market thing has become an actual advantage for Green Bay. The cost of living is cheap, the tax rate isn't bad, it's easy to get around town and it's only two hours from Milwaukee and 3½ hours from Chicago. More than anything, notoriety will eventually find you if your team is winning – and the Packers have won a lot over the last three decades.

Justin from Wausau, WI

I am not a minority, but if I were, I can only imagine how unsettling it would be to think that the interview I might get for a HC/GM job would be offered to me only to satisfy some arbitrary quota, rather than based on my qualifications. The way I see it, the net effect is the opposite of the intention of the rule. All teams want to hire the best people, and you have to believe they will, regardless of ethnic background. Unless you really believe systemic racism exists in the NFL.

Agreed, but we need to make sure we're giving the best people the biggest platforms available to showcase their talent. I believe this measure is a massive step in the right direction. It not only could help open doors for minority head coaches but also will allow position coaches more upward mobility to the coordinator ranks. I think what had happened previously is the same coordinators kept getting recycled because teams would block their assistants from interviewing elsewhere. It still isn't perfect but we're making progress as a league.