Inbox: They gotta keep the train moving

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
b9oycfg0i3multvaitcm

William from South Milwaukee, WI

Congratulations to Kyler Fackrell for his first pick-six. Too bad it wasn't enough to get his team a W. When will be the next time the Packers play his NY Football Giants?

Good for Fackrell. He was total pro in the locker room and a much better player than the fan base gave him credit for. Unless they finish in the same spot in their respective divisions, the Packers aren't scheduled to play the Giants again until 2022.

Roger from Lakewood Ranch, FL

I did not see that coming. Did the Vikings just find their defense?

They did in the first half (66 total yards, no points) but the second half was an entirely different story (248 yards, 27 points). It'll be telling how Minnesota bounces back from playing well and coming up empty against a worthy adversary. The Falcons are floundering but Calvin Ridley did go off for 136 yards on Sunday.

Don from Riverton, UT

Speaking of headlines! We often hear of newspaper and magazine writers saying, "I didn't write that, speak to my editor" when challenged about their headlines. Do Wesford and Mikowitz write their own II headlines?

Yes. We typically write our own…unless mine is really bad and then Spoff will write that, too.

Mark from Sturgeon Bay, WI

Regarding click-bait headlines, my understanding is newspapers have different people create the headline than write the column. Do II writers create their own headlines?

That's not really a thing anymore – at least, at smaller newspapers. That was more common 15-20 years ago when copy editors needed to write headlines to fit whatever space was available in the next day's newspaper. With the proliferation of the web product, most of my friends in newspapers write all of their own headlines these days.

Stephen from Ottawa, Canada

As a kid, Howard Cosell was the voice I heard when watching sports without the commentary. Who was the voice in your head when you were a kid and who should be the voice for today's youths?

Pat Summerall is the first name that comes to mind. I loved his broadcasts with John Madden. If those two were covering a Packers game, it felt like a big deal. Today, I'd go with Mike Tirico.

Peter from Morganfield, KY

Calculus teacher here. I'm on Mike's side: Josh from Houston, TX, is very confused about objects falling in a vacuum. Their height is definitely described by a parabola. More importantly, Mike and Wes, thanks for giving me my Packers fix several times a week and especially during the bye week! I always look forward to II!

And thank you for teaching our children calculus, so hopefully one day I won't have to.

HAVE A QUESTION?