Inbox: They know it’s a 60-minute game

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
rebqyytgardriycmh9pz

Max from Troy, MO

What indicators should we be looking for during the offseason to signal that someone is on their way to a second- or third-year leap?

We’ll start hearing a lot of comments along those lines from coaches when OTAs start next week, but I always temper my thoughts at least until training camp when the pads go on and the practices crank up in intensity. When you’re there every day, every year, certain guys start to develop more of a presence on the practice field. You take note of it, and then see if it translates to the games.

Jon from West Des Moines, IA

Obviously I'm a biased Packer fan, and I know Rodgers does make receivers better, but I absolutely love both MVS and St. Brown. To me both have what it takes to absolutely blow up and become stars, but I can't decide which one has the edge.

Isn’t that a good thing?

Doug from Eugene, OR

Hi guys, a little perspective on the jump from college to pros. As a younger man I had experienced a lot of success in amateur, college, and the professional mini-tours. As I was preparing for tour school I ran into a veteran who had earned and lost his card several times. He simply told me, "Son, remember tour school is the weakest field you'll see all year." There really is no way of knowing how any of these drafted players will respond to the man-to-man competition in the NFL, is there?

Not really. An old friend always used to remind me it’s a game of human confrontation. I’ve learned myself the emphasis in that phrase is on human.

Randy from Clarksville, TN

Just saw an interview discussing how difficult it is for rookies to learn a playbook. Is it true that players almost instantly have to learn, retain, and perform? Can you think of another instance of having to learn super-difficult information and performing immediately occurring in the sports world?

Basketball coaches drawing up a play with 4.2 seconds on the clock in a tie game comes to mind. Even then, sometimes the star just dribbles from one side of the court all the way to the other, launches a turnaround shot from the corner, and watches it bounce on the rim four times before falling through to win Game 7. That’s why we watch.

Brian from Rochester, MN

As players move on from the Packers, it usually feels sad – even if it feels like the right move for the team. But public opinion really changes from player to player. Ex: Jordy Nelson seemed to feel like a much bigger loss than Clay Matthews to most people. In your opinion, which player in the last 20 years left with the most unappreciated contributions?

Maybe James Jones.

Thomas from Nazareth, PA

If the Packers stay healthy...

…they will contend for a playoff spot. I believe any team with an established star quarterback can always say so, but it’s hubris to think beyond that in this league.

Marlon from Eagle River, WI

How are team captains determined for each game?

Under McCarthy, the coaching staff chose them. I don’t know how LaFleur is going to handle it, or even if he’s going to stick with weekly captains or go with permanent captains for the season. Stay tuned.

Kevin from Boerne, TX

Which end of training camp is your favorite to watch? The beginning week with all the hopefuls and endless possibilities/stories? Or the final week dwindled down to the difficult career-changing decisions?

As far as watching practice, the best week has always been the week between Family Night and the first preseason game. The pads are on, the players are in the groove, but it’s not yet the dog days of camp. The competition is fun to watch, and with this year’s practices in that stretch coming with the Houston Texans in town, it’ll add another dynamic.

Dan from Rothschild, WI

I see John Dorsey is stating Browns fans are more passionate than Packers fans. Don't you think every owner/GM/coach/player/fan says that about their team?

Indubitably.

Steve from Phoenix, AZ

The potential of this defense has me really excited to see what they can do. If nothing else, the days of Cousins, Trubisky and Stafford comfortably sitting in the pocket waiting patiently for receivers to break free may finally be over. When we win the toss, I hope LaFleur defers – not just because we want the ball to start the second half, but because we want our defense to start the game, because our defense sets a tone. The depth of change brings a different kind of energy.

I get the sentiment, I really do. I just don’t buy into all the tone-setting talk. NFL games are so rarely won or lost in the first quarter, to me anyway. These guys are pros. They know it’s a 60-minute game, whether the start is strong or sluggish.