Inbox: They will all get their chance

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
dkavdm0uwsrlg40exfyh

Jake from Shoreview, MN

With the signing of Turner, the drafting of Jenkins and the return of Cole Madison, the Packers appear to have some offensive line depth they have not had in a while. What can legitimately be expected of Madison after a year away from the game? Could he struggle to make the roster?

I like Madison’s chances better now than if he returned to the team midway through last season. There is a lot of competition on the offensive line, but at least he’s not playing catch-up. By reporting for the start of the offseason program, he’s in the best possible position to make the 53.

Manny from Coupeville, WA

In the past, injuries have hurt our offensive line and the offense. Does it seem like a good backup crew?

Rodgers seems pleased with them.

Bruce from Appleton, WI

With Josh Jones skipping the OTAs, do you think this will hurt him in the long run with the Packers or will they trade him like he is asking?

Again, OTAs are voluntary. Everyone wants answers right now, but we’re going to have to wait until mandatory minicamp to get a better grip on the whole situation.

Tony from Marquette, WI

How many tight ends are in camp?

Six. Jimmy Graham, Marcedes Lewis, Big Bob Tonyan, Jace Sternberger, practice-squad holdover Evan Baylis and undrafted rookie Davis Koppenhaver out of Duke.

Jonathan from Madison, WI

Are practice-squad players eligible to travel in case of injury?

Yes. The Packers always bring the No. 3 quarterback (if he isn’t already on the 53-man roster) and a practice player of the week on every road trip. The team also will occasionally travel the entire practice squad for West Coast trips and late-season contests.

Alex from Hampton, VA

Good morning. Any reports on David Bakhtiari’s left elbow? I noticed he’s wearing a brace this spring and he’s never worn this before.

It’s fine. Bakhtiari has been wearing that brace for a while now.

Simon from Santa Clara, CA

How much work was yesterday's Inbox, where you had to curate all the questions, but didn't provide any answers? I can't decide if I think it was more or less work.

You’d think it would take less time, but I’d say it was comparable since I had to sift through all the replies, choose 25 or so to publish, and then edit the responses.

Diane from Hot Springs Village, AR

Why was it such a big deal that Aaron Rodgers didn't chug his beer!?

I have no idea, but also don’t drink. My thought is: “Oh, your quarterback can drink? Cool. Has he won a Super Bowl?” Maybe Spoff can bring clarity to this phenomenon when he returns Wednesday.

Mike from Austin, TX

Hey gents. Love your work and the perspective that you afford to us all. I've seen things about most of the draft picks and UDFAs, but I'm wondering what your impressions are on my fellow Toledo Rocket Ka'Dar Hollman? Speed up to expectations? Getting some reps? I just haven't seen mentions of him. Jayrone wants to know, too. Have an awesome weekend.

My first thought watching him practice last week is he’s definitely as advertised getting in and out of his breaks. Out of all the Day 3 picks, Hollman probably is the one I’m most excited to see more of this summer. There’s a lot of untapped potential there.

Pedro from Porto Alegre, Brazil

I don't know if I missed this, but have you guys already revealed the reason why Wes had to take that trip a few weeks ago or something? I am really intrigued by it, thank you.

Soon, assuming I can carve out time to work on the project. But yes, soon-ish.

Bill from Bernards, NJ

Out of curiosity, how much of your wardrobe is provided by the team? Shirts, jackets, pants, etc.?

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to say, “Yes, I buy my own pants.” I’ve been waiting 31 years to write those words. As far as shirts and jackets, I’d say it’s about 50/50.