Inbox: They’re back in the mix

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
wwjwncqy655az966rk2e

Steve from Middletown, KY

If I was a player, I'm not sure I would want to be on the team based in London. Would you want to be drafted to be based out of the U.S.? Besides the obvious concerns of all the travel, there would be so many other issues. Family life, salary and taxing come to mind first. I'm sure the NFL would probably have to comp the players and team for a variety of the costs, but wouldn't that potentially change their cap? Just seems like a nightmare to figure out and to keep it under control.

The NFL would have to make certain logistical compromises, namely as it relates to the schedule. That team likely would play long stretches of home and away games. It also would need to have established offices and facilities in both countries. It would be a challenge and still might not make complete sense, but I get the sense that’s the direction the league ultimately wants to go.

Scott from Hayward, WI

Even for us seasoned Wisconsinites, that first cold snap always feels a little brutal. Any prediction that wind chills in the teens will have any effect on the Panthers’ performance once that sun goes down in the second half? Our boys have already been playing in the snow.

I expect Ron Rivera to have his team ready to play, but there’s no denying how bone-chilling temperatures this time of the year could favor the Packers over the course of a 60-minute game. You can’t simulate the conditions Green Bay has been practicing in all week.

JR from East Moline, IL

If you were a coach, would you allow your players to wear short sleeves in cold games? Everyone already knows they're tough, so there is nothing to prove. And I'm no rocket scientologist, but I think muscles work better when they're not cold.

I’ve long been a proponent of “look good, feel good, play good.” As long as the clothing is OK’d by the NFL, I’d let players wear whatever they feel most comfortable in. For example, Damarious Randall played in long sleeves whether it was Jacksonville in September or Green Bay in January.

Ivan from Ventura, CA

I remember when Vic was here there was a lot of negativity from the "fans." Are you guys afraid to post those confrontational questions or have you not received any since we're winning so much? I'm sure I speak for a lot of fans, we enjoy reading those questions and answers also. Keep up the good work.

I don’t want to speak for Spoff, but this is how I go about it. If the submission is just a long, rambling diatribe, then I usually won’t post it. This isn’t Inbox suggestion box. But I will answer any (respectful) question that comes into Inbox. If you’re insulting Spoff’s ancestors, I reserve the right to hit delete, add you to the banned list and move on with my day.

Dan from Morehead City, NC

Morning, I always hear teams’ stats about wins and losses coming out of a bye week, but what is the Packers’ record going into a bye? Also, how did they do the last couple of years?

The Packers are 6-3 over the last decade heading into the bye week. Coincidentally, two of those three losses came via New Orleans (2014, 2017).

Cameron from Wayland, MI

One measurement of the coach is the execution of the plays this year. Not having so many false starts might be the biggest play not in our playbook this week that can be the key to victory.

Being at Lambeau should help that. Of all the things that went wrong in LA, I expect the false starts to be the most easily correctable.

Sean from Cortland, NY

Not a question but just want to give a shout-out and congrats to JC Tretter on the extension. He's earned it. I understand that he was tough to keep in Green Bay, but I was sad to see him go and am happy for his continued success.

Good dude. I’m happy to see everything work out for Tretter after injuries slowed him down the first few years. His talent was never a question. The Packers found two good centers in Tretter and Corey Linsley during the middle rounds of those 2013 and 2014 NFL Drafts.

Robert from Verona, WI

Aloha from Maui! I’m on vacation (where it’s about 80 degrees warmer than back in WI) and recently drove the road to Hana. The road to Hana is about a 60-mile stretch of windy, narrow roadway that passes over 59 bridges – of which 46 are only one lane wide. There are 600-plus curves and it has spectacular rainforest and ocean views throughout the drive. Anyway, near Hana, there is a resident who displays multiple Packer signs at the end of their driveway. Loved seeing a fan that far from home!

I know exactly what you’re talking about (minus the Packers fan part, which is cool). I was out there with my family in 2007. On that drive, I actually made my pregnant sister-in-law pull over and throw up because I put my wet socks over the vent in the back seat. I was a devious 19-year-old.