Inbox: This is their chance to change the narrative

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ehfpjlvsexsbdzp95bxa

Eric from Denver, CO

With all the injuries the 49ers have had, is there anyone the Packers will have to key in on playing defense?

On the 49ers' defense? Fred Warner. You have to know where he is at all times. San Francisco has been on a crazy run with its inside linebackers over the past 10, 15 years and Warner is the latest in that line of Pro Bowl-caliber players at that position. He's a sure tackler, can play sideline-to-sideline and is a consummate playmaker.

David from Appleton, WI

In this COVID environment, there is greater use of the practice squad around the league. If a team attempts to sign a PS player from another team to its active roster, does the original team holding the rights to the PS player have the right of first refusal in order to keep them? Does the player automatically get signed to the active roster for three games minimum?

The only way a team can prevent a practice-squad player from signing elsewhere is if it protects him. Every Tuesday, each team is allowed to protect up to four practice-squad players. Otherwise, if a player receives an offer elsewhere, he has the right to void his practice-squad contract at any time.

Gary from Sheboygan, WI

Insiders, Packers signed another TE to the practice squad. There seems to be a lot of interest in TEs by the Packers. What is the fascination?

Robert Tonyan was one of those practice-squad tight ends three years ago. You gotta cast the line to catch a fish.

Elliot from Hopkins, MN

When do the Packers need to make a decision for Allen Lazard to come off the IR?

The Packers need to activate him by the Wednesday after the Jacksonville game.

Terry from Tomah, WI

I understand your comment about getting the defense mentally focused for the game. However, could you clarify your meaning of "finding a way to win"? That term is used a lot in sports.

To me, that phrase means doing whatever's necessary to succeed in less-than-ideal circumstances. It is so rare in this league that a team goes out, imposes its will on the opposition for 60 minutes and leaves with a dominating win. You have to overcome adversity at some point.

Dave from Bentonville, AR

It seems the NFL is doing some good things to battle COVID within the league. That being said, why haven't they put a stop to the postgame pleasantries between players? Every week you see face-to-face hugging with no masks. Seems very irresponsible.

The league announced this week that masks are mandatory for postgame interactions.

Nick from Richmond, VA

Someone asked a question about DK Metcalf and how he was passed by so many teams. I saw both Metcalf and AJ Brown at Ole Miss and they were monsters and I hoped the Pack would grab either two years ago. Since then, they've done well in NFL. However, Laquan Treadwell was also a monster at Ole Miss but struggled in NFL. My question is: Do scouts use the success of past position players from a school as a measurement for how future players from that school might perform?

To an extent. I don't think GMs and scouts compare players from specific colleges, but I know of many around the league who take time after every offseason to revisit their grades on players to see what they might have missed.

Brian from Sussex, WI

My understanding is refs are being deployed more regionally this year. The refs from Sunday could be assigned to several more Packer games this year: home games plus Chicago, Detroit, and Indy are all in the general area. The Packers need to adjust to a group who calls more penalties, and you would hope Sunday was a bad day for the refs.

Teams always research tendencies of upcoming officiating crews and relay that data to the locker room. So if the Packers get Alex Kemp's crew again, you can be sure they'll throw the film up on the projector of the called penalties in that game, especially offensive holding.