Inbox: We march on together

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
lumckyk4vwvf6r6knalq

Sandy from Green Bay, WI

With the conclusion of the NFL's 100th season, what changes do you feel have been most significant in changing the nature of the sport? Keeping in mind that change doesn't always equal improvement and that some changes may have resulted in issues that have needed "fixing," do you think the game of football was better in its original, simpler form?

No. I think the game of football is better – and safer – today than it's ever been. You've seen the culture shift from physicality to finesse. What make today's NFL great are those dramatic, gravity-defying moments that make your jaw drop. The game can always be better but I think it's in a good place.

Jeff from Milwaukee, WI

Will the NFL Draft be postponed?

That's hard to say because I don't know how invested the NFL is in maintaining this spectacle the draft has become. In the absolute worst-case scenario, the draft can be handled remotely. The question is really where the dominoes fall over the next month and how the league wants to proceed.

Chris from Frederick, MD

Of these cuts that are popping up, is there one or two that have really surprised you?

Nothing has really surprised me so far. I get why the cap-strapped Vikings cut Linval Joseph but I still feel like the big defensive tackle still has good football in his future. Some of you have asked about possible "street" free-agent targets. Joseph would jump right to the top of my list.

Luke from Verona, WI

What do you think the first words out of Aaron Rodgers' mouth were upon hearing of the CBA passing?

No clue. I look forward to hearing what he has to say whenever the first offseason availability takes place. Rodgers is a leader and leaders have opinions. I'm glad he shared his on ESPN Wisconsin. Communication and the expression of ideas are critical in any negotiation, especially when it's one your union is going to be locked into for the next 11 years.

Lori from Brookfield, WI

When Mike wrote, "If you bat .400 with those five picks in the sixth and seventh, you're doing twice as well as batting 1.000 on one pick in the fifth," I wondered if the "No Math in the Inbox" rule still applies.

If it was a rally, I'd be the guy clapping and shouting "Yeah!" behind Spoff at the podium and then asking my wife to explain it to me on the way home.

Steve from Lake Stevens, WA

Can you explain the significance of a $10 million increase in the salary cap? It seems minor compared to the way salaries tend to increased.

It's a complicated formula but that number is based on total revenue that's divided amongst the league's 32 teams.

John from Yakima, WA

At the end of a season, is it permissible for a club to be under the salary cap but over the overall pay cost due to unexpected bonus paid (i.e., not expected to be earned)?

If a player hits an unlikely to be earned bonus, that incentive doesn't count against the cap until the following year. It's no different than when a team is awarded credit toward the next year's cap if a player doesn't hit a likely to be earned incentive.

Nick from Hartford, WI

What is a transition tag?

It gives teams the first right of refusal on any contract a perspective unrestricted free agent may sign. It's not as expensive as the franchise tag but it also doesn't award a team draft-pick compensation if the player signs elsewhere. The franchise tag would net the previous team two first-rounders.

Eric from Reedsburg, WI

Will you be doing a breakdown of the new CBA details?

Yes. Later today.

John from Green Bay, WI

What are the key factors when the college player wants to enter the NFL Draft?

Value. It's like the stock market. Each player wants to maximize his value. Every player's situation is different but any early entrant must look within himself and do what's best for him and his family. Furthermore, I'll never fault a running back for declaring after three years. Their clock is already ticking.

Dave from Savannah, GA

With the XFL closed down early and players available to sign right away, do you see any chance the Packers will sign a few of the stars from that league? Personally, I would love to see QB Jordan Ta'amu in the Green and Gold!

We shall see. The Packers didn't sign anyone from the AAF last year but maybe they'll find a XFL alum they like.

Unpaid Intern from Zissou Society, International Waters

Welcome back, Wes. Do the UDFAs get their own lockers, or do they all share one?

I needed that laugh. Thank you. All undrafted free agents get their own lockers – except in small road venues during the preseason. Several undrafted rookies had to share in Oakland two years ago.

Rod from Chugiak, AK

Hi Wes, to help point out shortcomings (stupidity?) this past week I loved Mike's leaving inane submissions in their writer's exact poor English. On the other hand, I have appreciated the couple of times you have plumbed up my own submissions a wee bit either to help you make a point or keep my writing from looking bumbling. Sometimes with only a flick of your finger on the keyboard you can show care to your faithful and true. And you probably do that more often than we know. Thanks and thanks.

Depending on who's asking the question, there are some days when it's so tempting to just leave it. But we strive to publish a clean column.

Nate from Pueblo, CO

Mike and Wes, were you the first sports writers to be cloned? Are you making Spoff and Hod do all the dirty work?

That really took on a life of its own, didn't it?