Indianapolis Colts 2020 Mock Draft Monday: Feb. 17

Blue

Mar 19, 2019
unkl8pbwwxaz8jrdwax2

Selection: Solomon Kindley, G, Georgia

Date of mock draft: Feb. 12 (link)

Analysis: "Colts' GM Chris Ballard has a bunch of decisions to make, but the bottom-line is he won't ever waver from having two key components in his ballclub: A solid offensive line (7th-ranked Rush Offense) and a top-caliber defensive front seven that creates havoc for opposing QB's. Indy finished tied at #15 for QB sacks in 2019 minus a key EDGE rusher and an aging free agent. Indy is a very solid player on the OL away from having a full-blown monster unit. By adding another nasty mauler like Soloman Kindley at Guard, opposite of Quenton Nelson, Indy improves at run-blocking, stays solid in pass-protection --all while getting young, nasty, and more athletic. Although Mark Glowinski has been steady during his tenure, adding a guy like Kindley (or Oregon's Shane Lemiux) would be huge. Of course, this all hinges on LOT Anthony Castonzo not retiring. This would set the Colts up for nearly a decade at each position --except LOT. If Castonzo retires, my pick in RD1 would be the top OT available; someone like Louisville's Mehki Becton. Selecting another Offensive Lineman might also allow for Ballard and the Colts to be able to remain patient and keep Jacoby Brisset at QB, while waiting until 2021 to select a young "face of the franchise" passer. Certainly the Colts have the RB's and OL that can keep the chains moving. If T.Y. Hilton and the younger wideouts can stay healthy, a dink-and-dunk offense (for the 2020-21 season) could do the trick. Overall, I still like DT Javon Kinlaw the most for this pick --if I can't have Joe Burrow or any of the defensive standouts likely to go in the first 10 picks. But Kinlaw is starting to gain top-10 attention and is not available in this mock. However, I believe the offensive line could be solidified with the addition of a top prospect at OG like Kindley. Obviously, QB, WR and EDGE are all still in play here. My hesitation with making an extremely talented WR the top pick is there's likely not going to be enough downfield targets from a guy like Brissett. Some critical decisions loom for GM Ballard and the Colts this off-season."