James Bradberry readying to renew his rivalry with Julio Jones

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
xv4381zi78lodumtnr2b

Bradberry’s best outing came the last time the Panthers and Falcons met in Week 16 last season. Along the way to limiting Jones to just 28 yards, Bradberry recorded a career-high four passes defensed. But the breakups aren’t what Bradberry remembers from the game.

“He scored a touchdown on me last year on an over route in the red zone,” Bradberry said. “Wish I could have that one back.”

That’s how Bradberry is forced to think, because he knows he can never let his guard down against a receiver like Jones.

“He does everything well,” Bradberry said. “He can run fast, he’s explosive, runs good routes, big, physical guy. He’s definitely a challenge.”

But the folks down in Atlanta see Bradberry as a challenge, too. Falcons head coach Dan Quinn praised Bradberry for his ability to matchup with Jones so well.

“I think both guys who have this kind of size, and speed, and explosiveness, they’re so strong,” Quinn said. “Such a good matchup because big guys who can move like those two can, that’s a lot different.

“It’s always a tough matchup getting his draw, but James is definitely somebody when they know each other, that they’re going to go fight for sure.”

Bradberry knows the fight is coming, and it's one the Panthers will need their No. 1 corner to help win. Bradberry sat out last week’s game against Green Bay with a lingering groin injury, and the result was Packers’ top wide receiver Davante Adams hauling in seven receptions for 118 yards.

Entering the Packers game, Bradberry was listed as questionable, but after a full week of rest, it looks like he's on track to play against the Falcons. Despite being officially listed as “limited” in practice on Wednesday, Bradberry said he went through the entire practice and felt good after finishing.

The Panthers have seen the damage Jones is capable of doing when he’s lined up across from anything less than a No. 1 cornerback, so getting Bradberry back and healthy will be key to Carolina’s success.

“You’ve first got to try to limit Julio,” Bradberry said. “We’ve got to be able to get hands on him and eliminate him any way we can.”