Jaycee Horn ready for the pressure

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
wipscvgjpco86cd0plgv

That's what the Panthers are hoping for, having made such a significant investment in him.

A year ago, they were 28th in the league in third-down percentage allowed (49.2 percent), and 25th in passer rating allowed (98.4). Rhule mentioned the inability to get off the field on third down as one of the things they knew they had to fix this offseason, and adding a cornerback you can trust alone on a top receiver's a huge step in that direction.

"Cover a guy one-on-one, take away a side of the field, that is what excited us," general manager Scott Fitterer said. "Like coach said, it jumped out on tape. Then you get to meet the person, you hear him talk, the way he carries himself, he is a pro, I think the transition will be quick with him."

There's also the possibility that even the best rookie doesn't know what he doesn't know yet, but that's another area where having a former player for a father helps. In addition to being able to talk Xs and Os with his son, Joe Horn also taught him how to be a pro, and the kind of attitude he's going to need to take on such a tall task as the one in front of him.

"He gave me a lot of advice, but the two main things were first, never feeling like I know it all, keeping that empty cup and being willing to learn from any and everybody in the building. Learn from the vets, learn from the coaches, everybody.

"And two, just recently he was telling me that it's a business. You've been picked high, you've got a job to do out there, and it comes with a lot of weight. So make sure you're prepared, and ready, and be there when the time comes."

The Panthers are counting on him being ready for that challenge.

As many big stages as he's been on already, Horn admitted he "shed a few tears" when he walked into his new home Friday.

And with that out of the way, he's ready to go to work, and live up to the plans the Panthers have for him.