Jayron Kearse Using Uncommon Size, Physicality at Slot Cornerback

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
wcvwuxpjigthdxfl1ouq

Kearse offers the Vikings a big option as a fifth defensive back. Although he is still listed as a safety on Minnesota’s roster (Kearse showed he could play that position by filling in for Smith in the third preseason game), the former Clemson standout has essentially switched positions in recent years.

“I’m very confident, the same way I was last year. I feel like I can get out there and make plays and cover anybody,” Kearse said Monday. “It’s really just about getting opportunities. I’m going to have a bit more on my plate now that Mackensie is down right now. I just have to be ready for it.

“Honestly, I’ve played more nickel than I’ve played safety,” Kearse later added. “For me, if anything, it would be an adjustment the other way around. I’ve been on the field in actual game action at the nickel position, rather than back deep at safety.”

Kearse didn’t make any starts in 2018, but he did play 202 snaps on defense, the majority of which came in the slot as part of Minnesota’s “big nickel” package.

The 25-year-old will rely on that experience going forward, as he said Monday that he now knows the ins and outs of playing up close to the line of scrimmage.

“I think that’s the biggest thing with any position — if you do too much thinking, then you’re not really focused on what’s going on around you,” Kearse said. “Just me knowing what I have to do and doing my job, it makes it easier, as far as reading my keys. I’m seeing things quicker and much faster.

“Things happen quicker up there. I have to be in a run front much more than I would be if I was back deep at safety,” Kearse added. “That’s the biggest thing, just taking on those linemen and getting off of blocks.”

Zimmer said Monday that Kearse is going to have help at times when it comes to coverage, but added the 6-foot-4 defensive back can present a different look with his size and physicality.

“I think, usually if he gets his hands on guys, he’s pretty good, so that’s part of it — using his length in that position,” Zimmer said. “That’s probably his strength, and that’s what he needs to continue to do.”