Jeff Nixon enjoying the "challenge" of coaching Christian McCaffrey

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
kecdvf1mtjxrvbwiyz8x

Nixon has also challenged McCaffrey, who's soaked in more than just his position in the new offense.

"The biggest thing I've picked up from Coach Nixon is learning not just my job but everyone else's job — taking the knowledge of the game to the next level and putting it into the same terminology across the board," McCaffrey said.

"He has such a good understanding of route running to protection to receiver routes to line calls, so it's been fun to further understand the game in that way."

Even though McCaffrey will continue to be the focus at running back, Nixon is intrigued by the depth in his room.

The coach called Mike Davis the kind of veteran running back who "has the total package and can do a little bit of everything for us." Nixon noted Reggie Bonnafon made "some really big plays running the football and catching out of the backfield." Nixon also expects Jordan Scarlett to make a push to contribute after an injury-shortened rookie season.

The Panthers also signed undrafted rookie Rodney Smith out of Minnesota, who was one of only three running backs in the Big Ten to rush for at least 1,000 yards in 2019.

"Extremely excited about him — fortunate we signed him," Nixon said. "He had a great career in Minnesota with over 5,000 all-purpose yards. He's going to come in and compete and add to our room, and hopefully be able to contribute to help us win some football games."

As the Panthers continue through the offseason, Nixon believes the running backs will be in good shape coming training camp.

"I think the guys have responded well to the situation. The guys are learning, and I think we'll be ready to rock and roll once we do get back and get on the field," Nixon said. " I think the guys vividly will know what we expect out of them with our systems."