Jon Runyan eager to carry on father's NFL legacy

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
kyb3vai8xfirfwuudjoh

"He's always been really hands off with everything," Runyan said. "He's always been there as a resource for me, kind of an invaluable resource. Something that not a lot of people get, obviously. Like he just told me a couple minutes ago, 'The work is just starting.'

"Everything I've done throughout my career has been reset. Now, fortunately I have this opportunity to go out to Green Bay and prove myself at the next level, and I couldn't be more excited about that."

Runyan ran a 5.08-second time in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine with 24 bench reps and 107-inch broad jump to get on the radar of Green Bay's personnel department.

While his dad made his name in the NFL at right tackle, the younger Runyan is open to moving inside if that's where the Packers want him to play. More than anything, he's eager to prove himself and join his dad in the NFL fraternity.

After sharing a lifetime of football memories together, father and son added one more Saturday afternoon when the Packers called Jon back and told him his own NFL dream was about to come true.

"When everybody saw me walking around talking on the phone, everybody figured out what was going on," Runyan said. "It kind of surprised them. I let them try to figure it out on their own. He was excited. You could see the joy in his eyes and his sense of pride he was feeling."