Josh Myers is 'wired right' to step into trenches for Packers

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
tjpnn6bc3eqck16xl1my

"We talked about how incredible it would be if I ever got the chance to play there, and here we are," Myers said.

Myers comes from a family of athletes and a long line of centers. First off, he says the best athlete in the family is his mother, a Dayton University Hall of Famer as a basketball player.

On the gridiron, his grandfather played center in high school before his dad and brother both played center at the University of Kentucky, even though both didn't start out at that position.

Josh didn't either, but he made the move after his redshirt freshman year at Ohio State at the behest of the coaches and he took to the spot – the physical nature and the leadership required.

He eventually became a team captain this past season for the Buckeyes, which he considered his greatest athletic achievement – until perhaps Friday night, when he saw Green Bay pop up on his phone screen.

He called it "the biggest rush of emotion," and the enthusiasm is reciprocated by Malaspina, who went to see Myers play two games in person this past season, even amidst all the pandemic restrictions.

"What stood out for me was just his way – his sturdiness, his demeanor, his positive energy," Malaspina said. "I mean, you're not team captain at a place like that and go hide in the corner.

"I'm not saying you have to be a rah-rah guy, but he's a guy that other guys gravitate towards, which once again talking about the energy is something that we want to continue to bring into this team."

It just so happens the starting center spot is open, too.

"He'll have to earn it like everybody else," Malaspina said. "Nothing's given in this league."