Justin Hollins 'off to a good start' as he learns inside, outside linebacker positions

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
fpvrp4pluo7rpsabwvb2

Hollins’ 6-foot-5 frame makes him taller than most inside linebackers, but Donatell said height is just one way to measure if a player can be effective at inside ‘backer. Most tall players can have trouble bending, which Donatell said is an essential skill at a position that requires quick change of direction.

Hollins, though, has the ability to bend.

“He has the bend and he’s versatile and he picks things up so fast that we can take on that task with him,” Donatell said.

Hollins has tried to aid the coaches’ efforts by spending time watching film and reaching out to defensive backs and inside linebackers for advice.

“I’m pretty familiar with the system already, and Coach has got me in the playbook and we’re in the meeting room getting after it,” Hollins said Saturday.

Though the Broncos see Hollins’ potential, inside linebacker is still a relatively new position to him. Hollins said Oregon had a few packages for last season’s bowl game that would feature him at inside ‘backer, but their opponent never showed the formations that would trigger that defensive response.

That means Hollins’ only recent game reps at inside linebacker came during the pre-draft all-star game circuit.

But Hollins said the Broncos were just one of several teams during the draft process to see him as a potential inside-outside player.

“I’m going to play anywhere they need me,” Hollins said on April 27 after being drafted. “I’m one of those guys who is just going to get in and play where ever I am needed, whether that is special teams, inside, outside — it doesn’t matter. I am here to compete. I am here to play as hard as I can and provide the team with some type of impact.”

So far in Denver, he’s been needed at two positions. And through two days, Donatell has been pleased with the way Hollins has responded.

“[Staley] saw a vision for the guy, and we’re off to a good start,” Donatell said. “Again, it’s still very, very early. It’s great to have these days with him. We’ll just try to get to the next day.”