Kenyan Drake Shows His Worth In Seattle

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
oecwohxwbjgnkcrvh4po

SEATTLE – Kenyan Drake ran for an 80-yard touchdown early in Sunday’s 27-13 win over the Seahawks and then celebrated by taking imaginary money out of a vault and placing it in a bag.

The Cardinals running back won’t be playing make-believe much longer.

Drake, an unrestricted free agent in March, continued to show his worth against Seattle, carrying the ball 24 times for 166 yards and two touchdowns. It directly followed a game against the Browns in which he amassed 137 rushing yards and four touchdowns.

“My girlfriend told me that I didn’t really come hard last week, with four touchdowns, in my celebrations,” Drake said. “So I thought I’d bring something out. I was just letting everybody know that we’ve got to run it up a bit.”

The Cardinals were excited about the addition of Drake when they traded for him in midseason to join a crowded running back room that already included David Johnson and Chase Edmonds. Drake got a chance as the lead back when they were injured and never relinquished it.

“We predicted, as the No. 1 back, what he could do,” coach Kliff Kingsbury said. “That’s why we made the trade. We wouldn’t have traded, at that point in the season, if we didn’t think he could play at a high level if he was made the guy. Getting those number of touches, he’s stepped up and answered the bell.”

Drake had the long run on his second carry of the game and continued to rack up the yardage. He sealed the win with a three-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter to make it a two-possession game.

The Cardinals carried the ball 40 times for 253 yards in total, averaging 6.3 yards per carry. Quarterbacks Kyler Murray and Brett Hundley combined for 75 rushing yards and the offensive line again did a solid job of paving the way, which Drake noted after the contest.

“I’m just a piece of the puzzle in this great cog we have going,” Drake said.

Continue reading...