Key questions facing the Broncos after the bye week

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
azwzqssesjjea8fj0bew

WHAT IS THE BRONCOS’ PLAN AT QUARTERBACK?

When the Broncos placed Joe Flacco on injured reserve ahead of a Week 9 game against the Browns, it instantly added a degree of uncertainty to the Broncos’ quarterback position.

Brandon Allen made his first career start in Week 9, and he finished 12-for-20 for 193 yards and two touchdowns. Allen did not turn the ball over as he led the Broncos to a win.

Allen appears poised to start again in Week 11 in Minnesota, and Head Coach Vic Fangio said another week of practice should do “wonders” for Allen’s game.

The Broncos, though, could designate rookie Drew Lock to return to practice on Wednesday. If and when he returns to practice, he must be added to the active roster within 21 days or he will revert to IR for the rest of the season. That means the Broncos will have a decision to make. Should they activate Lock? When should they do it? Will he serve as a backup in Minnesota (Week 11), in Buffalo (Week 12) or at home against the Chargers (Week 13)? Will he start games this season? And if so, when? If Allen continues to win games, how would that affect the team’s plan?

Those questions all await the Broncos as they prepare to execute their plan for the quarterback position. Lock has said he’s healthy and ready to play, but that he trusts Denver’s plan. As the Broncos continue their season, the unveiling of that plan will be highly anticipated.

HOW DOES THE YOUNG CORE CONTINUE TO PROGRESS?

Courtland Sutton leads the AFC in receiving yards. Dalton Risner has started every game. Noah Fant set Broncos rookie tight end records in his last start. Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman continue to form a powerful duo. Alexander Johnson has stormed onto the scene with Davontae Harris and Duke Dawson Jr. Diontae Spencer has brought a spark to the return game.

All over the Broncos’ roster, young and relatively inexperienced players are making big contributions for Denver. How will they progress in the season’s final seven games?

If players like Sutton, Lindsay and Fant continue to take steps forward, the Broncos’ offense could feature a dynamic offensive core. Likewise, if Johnson and Co. continue to play well, Denver’s defense should be set up for future success.

There’s plenty on the line as these players look to improve. Lindsay is the only player among that group who has made a Pro Bowl, though Sutton appears positioned to warrant serious consideration.

And for players with relatively little experience, each game and each start can mean a lot in regard to their overall development.

“I think another seven games can turn me from like a rookie or like a first-level player to almost like a vet mentality,” Harris said. “I think one year in the NFL is huge for anybody, especially playing corner and especially playing around guys like K-Jack [Kareem Jackson] and Chris and Justin and just having those guys to learn from. Really, another seven games playing with them is going to turn me from a decent player to a good player. And then, eventually, I’ll be able to turn into a great player.”