Kingsbury: No Concern DeAndre Hopkins Trade Will Be Done Before Draft

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
uhkuac1iwlw9qiwh7tuk

No, the DeAndre Hopkins trade to the Cardinals isn't yet completed, with physicals for the players involved remaining a holdup for now in this world turned sideways by the coronavirus.

But Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury, during a Zoom press conference Tuesday morning, said he is not concerned that the trade wouldn't be completed before the April 23 draft.

With 2020 draft picks being swapped as part of the deal, reaching a conclusion to the trade is important.

"Those (moves) aren't official as far as I know at this point, but we'll get it done," Kingsbury said. "There is obviously the medical (part) and medical personnel have much bigger fish to fry at this point, so it's been slower than it would be, but I have no doubts it will be done before the draft."

The trade, which has been accepted by both the Cardinals and Texans pending those physicals, will send Hopkins and a 2020 fourth-round pick to the Cardinals for running back David Johnson, a 2020 second-round pick and a 2021 fourth-round pick.

Both Hopkins and Johnson need to pass physicals for the trade to be officially finalized. That remains an expectation of when and not if.

"I don't want to get too far into it because it's not official yet," Kingsbury said in a session after he gave blood at State Farm Stadium. "But obviously, (Hopkins) is a tremendous player, been healthy, played at a high level for a long time. We're all excited about it."

Continue reading...