Kirk Cousins & Vikings Offense Hitting Stride

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
kyzaf0xtzrf1gzsrxty6

"I think it's a credit to the way he works, the way he continues to study, trying to understand what the defense is going to give him this particular week, understand what the game plan is and how he has to perform in that particular game," Zimmer said. "I think that's a little bit like our football team, trying to figure out what we are and who we are and how we have to go about playing each game.

"I think they're more comfortable talking about the different plays and formations and things like that," Zimmer added. "I think they've always had a good relationship. I know Gary is a terrific coach. I think he's done a great job not only with him but the offense ever since he's been here. I love having him here. I wouldn't want to have anybody else."

Efficient passing has been a hallmark of Cousins' third season with Minnesota. He's leading the NFL with 8.8 yards per attempt, 13.3 yards per completion and 7.86 net yards per attempt (includes yards lost on sacks). Those are all on pace to be career bests for Cousins by a wide margin.

The Vikings offense has built off its commitment and success in the running game with play-action passes, a component of the game in which Cousins has thrived. He invests time heavily in the details that are required to sell the fake handoffs to Dalvin Cook, the NFL's leading rusher through Week 10.

Cook's demand of focus by defenses can then free up receiving targets. Throw in more stable pass protection, and Cousins has time to survey the defense and pick the optimal place to put the football. If the defense has it covered, he's improved at taking an incompletion or a check-down instead of pressing.

It's aggressiveness with an adjustable throttle.

Adam Thielen and Cook said the team never wavered on Cousins when the team opened 1-5.

"No one loses confidence in him, that's for sure, because we know the type of guy he is, the way he prepares, the way that he leads this team throughout the week and on game days," Thielen said. "So, yeah, we have a lot of faith and trust in him, and it's our job to look ourselves in the mirror and continue to try to help him, to help this team win games."

Cook, whose work ethic has been praised mightily, said Cousins also has an exemplary work ethic.

"I think I wouldn't want nobody else to show us a better example than what he's being doing lately," Cook said. "That's turning things around and blocking the outside noise out and just going to work. That just shows a true definition of Kirk's character."

Upcoming Milestones

Cousins enters Week 11 ranked 68th all-time with 172 career touchdown passes. He overtook former Cowboy Troy Aikman (165) earlier this season and can pass two more Pro Football Hall of Famers (Joe Namath and original Vikings Head Coach Norm Van Brocklin with two more scores. Charlie Conerly, Namath and Van Brocklin are tied for 65th overall with 173 career touchdown passes.

Last week, in his 40th regular-season game as the Vikings starter, Cousins became the seventh player in franchise history to throw for at least 10,000 yards for Minnesota. He needs 55 to pass Warren Moon (10,102 in 39 games) for the sixth-most passing yards by a Vikings QB.