Kliff Kingsbury Expresses Confidence In Second-Year Receivers

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
rklpdu7fhscblfoykywn

Isabella finished 2019 with nine catches for 189 yards and a memorable 88-yard touchdown against the 49ers. Johnson had 21 catches for 187 yards and a score last year, while Butler missed the season with a broken finger.

Despite the inconsistency, Kingsbury saw enough positives to remain confident.

"We like how they progressed," Kingsbury said. "It was tough getting on the field because we had some guys playing really well, but we're excited to see how they take that next step in Year 2."

Isabella wishes he could be on the field in front of the coaches this offseason, but is instead working out in Ohio due to the COVID-19 restrictions. He plans to return to Arizona in June.

"I'm fortunate enough to have a quarterback and a place to train, so I've been able to get all my stuff in," Isabella said. "I'm definitely getting a lot better, and I'm excited to get back to Arizona here soon."

Johnson had the quickest start of the rookies, but tailed off toward the end of the season and will need to re-establish himself. Butler was inconsistent in training camp before the injury, but has an intriguing skillset which could be helpful if it translates to the NFL level.

"Tons of ability," Kingsbury said. "He’s healthy. He’s been working hard this offseason. He knows what we expect of him, and what we think he can be. I'm really excited when we can finally get him back on the field."

Isabella enjoyed being around Fitzgerald a season ago, and is now ready to soak in advice from Hopkins, whom he's communicated with through Zoom.

"They've established themselves in the league and done big things, so you can learn a lot from them," Isabella said.

Hopkins and Fitzgerald are the entrenched NFL stars that Isabella, Johnson and Butler would love to one day become. They didn't flash that potential as rookies, but because the Cardinals bypassed wideouts in the draft, the door remains cracked for a 2020 surge.

"Every year you've got to push forward," Isabella said. "This league always changes, and you've always got to be on your toes and ready to change with it. You need to progress."

Continue reading...