Kliff Kingsbury Giving Cardinals An Analytical Boost

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
dmdx4jlv53p2xikbjjju

Unsurprisingly, every offensive player who has spoken about the fourth-down aggressiveness has been gung-ho about it. But what about the other side of the ball?

A fourth-and-short will inevitably fail at some point, which will give the opponent premium field position. Even so, defensive coordinator Vance Joseph is onboard with Kingsbury's decision-making.

"I like it, because from a defensive perspective, you have very few calls on fourth-and-1," Joseph said. "One yard for an offense is sometimes pretty easy to get. I like Coach being aggressive, because the more he can burn clock and the more points he scores, it helps the defense. If he feels good about a play he has called, and he's saving a good play for a fourth-and-1, I trust it."

Kingsbury's analytical bent is not reserved to fourth downs. He is among the league-leaders in pass rate on second-and-long, is top-10 in play-action percentage and spreads defenses out to help the running game.

He was asked this week about the possibility of trying a very unconventional move: an early two-point conversion as a proactive measure rather than a reactive one.

Pederson did it to great acclaim in Week 4, as an 8-0 first quarter lead eventually forced the 49ers to chase the point in the fourth quarter. After failing on its own two-point conversion, San Francisco faced a late five-point deficit and had to try for a touchdown instead of a field goal in a 25-20 loss.

Between Kyler Murray's mobility and the Cardinals' short-yardage success through five games, it could be a conducive enough scenario for Kingsbury to follow suit.

"I think there's something to that, no doubt," Kingsbury said. "If you feel like you need a spark, or you feel really confident in your short-yardage package or see something on tape, I think, 'Hey, be aggressive' and try to get those points that are out there."

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS A 'BANGED UP GROUP'​

Kingsbury said Friday that the Cardinals' outside linebackers are a "banged up group," but he is hopeful Devon Kennard (calf), Dennis Gardeck (foot) and Kylie Fitts (hamstring) will be available against the Cowboys on Monday night.

The Cardinals didn't practice on Friday, but if they did, the team estimated that Gardeck and Kennard would have practiced in a limited capacity, while Fitts would have sat out. Right guard J.R. Sweezy (elbow) and defensive lineman Rashard Lawrence (calf) likely would not have practiced.

The Cowboys had full participation from everyone on their active roster, although linebacker Leighton Vander Esch is not yet listed because he is still on injured reserve with a broken collarbone suffered in Week 1. Vander Esch could return to the field against the Cardinals.

Continue reading...