Lunchbreak: ESPN Ranks Every NFL Position Group

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
sb3j4chhynonimpwgi1k

Teammates weigh-in on the roster’s fastest Viking

Which Minnesota Viking has the top straight-line speed?

Mark Craig of the Star Tribune asked exactly that this week when he talked to multiple players about the topic.

When Trae Waynes was asked if he was the fastest, the cornerback responded, “I think so. Either me or Jeff Badet.”

Craig wrote:

The two of them participated in the inaugural “40 yards of Gold” competition, a pay-per-view event hyped and hosted by former NFL receiver Chad Johnson in late June. In a 16-man field of current NFL players and free agents, both were knocked out in the first round. Waynes was beaten by Panthers cornerback Donte Jackson, who eventually lost in the finals to 49ers receiver and former Olympian Marquise Goodwin.

“I got too good of a start,” Waynes told Craig. “I started in the front and just tripped up. I told [Jackson] I want a rematch. He knows I slipped.”

Then Waynes was asked a different question: “Who brags the most about his speed?”

“[Xavier Rhodes],” Waynes told Craig. “Definitely Xav’.”

Rhodes begged to differ, pointing instead to safety Jayron Kearse.

Craig reminded that Waynes ran the 40-yard dash in 4.31 seconds at the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine. Badet “reportedly ran a 4.27 at his pro day.”

“Jeff doesn’t count,” Waynes said. “He was a track guy.”

But, Trae, didn’t you run track in high school?

“I never ran a full season,” he responded. “I ran indoor, stopped for baseball and then I ran. I won’t even say what my best [100-meter dash time] was because it wasn’t good [10.7] and I was coming back from a broken leg. But I still took third in the state [in 2011].”