Lunchbreak: ‘Offensive Line University’ Helped Develop Vikings G Dru Samia

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
nxjcikywitu9qjekt29u

“Being an O-line coach you want your guys to be known for something,” Bedenbaugh told Coller in reference to the nickname. “What we’re going to be known for is playing physical, playing tough, finishing, playing the game the right way.”

According to Coller, Bedenbaugh’s method of “creating a star-studded offensive line” starts with the recruiting process and bringing in “the right types of personalities.”

“We try to, the best we can, find guys who are going to play like that on tape in high school. It’s not always easy,” Bedenbaugh said. “Guys can develop it some, but I don’t know how much you can truly develop it. We’re fortunate to have a culture where that’s expected and that’s how you’re supposed to play, and if you don’t play like that you’re probably not going to play here.”

Aside from building NFL bodies, Bedenbaugh is trying to develop NFL minds. Oklahoma’s linemen work to grasp not only their own position and blocking techniques but the bigger picture of how and why plays come together.

“They understand formations, they understand defenses, they understand play concepts and what we’re trying to accomplish within the play so they’re really, really football smart,” Bedenbaugh told Coller. “That’s another thing I think that will give them an edge when they get there because I don’t know that everybody else teaches the way that we do here.”

Coller wrote that he expects plenty of competition for the interior of Minnesota’s offensive line and expects Samia to provide additional depth for the Vikings this season “with the potential to become another one of O-line University’s quality NFL starters down the road.”