Lunchbreak: Smith & Harris Tabbed as NFL's Best Safety Tandem by ESPN

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
sfj31adl58gxket9yivs

Young Vikings CBs will be 'thrown into the fire' with loss of preseason

The leadup to the 2020 NFL season has looked different every step of the way due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Teams now have training camps underway, but the league announced last month that no preseason games will be played this year. The lack of exhibition contests will likely affect some players more than others, as they offer a good warm-up period for rookies and young players before hitting stride for the regular season.

Mark Craig of the Star Tribune specifically looked at Minnesota's cornerbacks room and said the rookies will be "thrown into the fire" without a preseason. He wrote:

On the roster now are 10 corners. Nary a one has more than five NFL starts. The top three are expected to be 23-year-olds Mike Hughes (five starts), Holton Hill (four starts) and rookie first-round draft pick Jeff Gladney. Another rookie, 21-year-old third-round pick Cameron Dantzler, is in the thick of it, as well.

That many greenhorns in one secondary certainly sounds ripe for some harmful growing pains. Especially with an offseason limited to virtual learning because of the pandemic.

Maybe. Maybe not, says Co-Defensive Coordinator Andre Patterson.

Craig quoted Patterson, who spoke to media members via video conference Friday:

"It's probably been a blessing that they've had all these virtual meetings," Patterson said. "They've heard the install more than any rookie class in the history of the National Football League.

"So these [rookies] have gone out there [in practice] and they've been vocal on making the calls," he added. "They know what to do. It's been really impressive. I think it's been a blessing in disguise."

Craig pointed out that the rookies will "still need practice reps and in-person corrections" when it comes to on-field execution.

"It's just making sure that we get enough reps and enough practice so we can achieve those things," Patterson said. "For me, that would be my No. 1 concern."