Lunchbreak: The MMQB Recaps Costly Offensive Pass Interference Call

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
ocoizknisalwu3savkzm

Cook, who racked up a career-high 154 rushing yards, said after the game that he couldn’t respond to questions about the call because he hadn’t even known at the time that he was the guilty party.

“I don’t know. I can’t tell you. I didn’t even know it was on me, to be real,” Cook said.

Kahler described the play:

Cook aligned in a three-receiver bunch to the right of the formation and made contact with two different defenders on the play as he ran across the action to the left. The second player he made contact with was Packers safety Darnell Savage, who was running in the opposite direction, towards the area of the end zone where Diggs made the play. It looked like a typical pick play in the red zone, many of which go uncalled when receivers make contact with defenders. But eligible receivers are not allowed to make contact with defending players more than a yard beyond the line of scrimmage before the ball is caught.

According to Kahler, FOX Sports Rules Analyst Dean Blandino was caught off guard himself that a review was initiated “because Cook’s contact is in a gray area where it might be incidental.”

Senior Vice President of Officiating Al Riveron gave the following explanation after the game:

“Every time, by rule, there’s a score of a turnover, here in New York we automatically take a look at all aspects of the play, which this year includes offensive and defensive pass interference. After we looked at the play, we saw clear and obvious visual evidence that No. 33 [Cook] significantly hinders the opponent while the ball is still in the air.”

Click here to read Kahler’s piece in its entirety.