Lunchbreak: Zimmer’s Run-Game Philosophy ‘Goes Behind Carries’

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
buwq6fvyi66c2p7spjvi

Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer mentioned on more than one occasion during the 2018 season that he wanted Minnesota’s offense to be more committed to the run game.

He once again addressed the topic with media members at the Annual League Meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, and further explained his philosophy when it comes to the run game, which Viking Update’s Tim Yotter delved into.

Yotter quoted Zimmer, who said the following:

“We want to be great running the football … but it’s not always about running for 200 yards,” Zimmer said. “The defense was on the field four minutes more a game [in 2018], I think that’s what it was. It’s time of possession, it’s controlling the game, it’s the mentality, the physicality of all that. If you look at the teams that played really good on offense this year, or the final four teams or whatever you want to call them, they ran the ball.”

Yotter wrote:

The Baltimore Ravens and Seattle Seahawks were easily the leaders in rushing attempts during the 2018 regular season, but the Super Bowl-winning Patriots were third. As far as rushing yards, the Super Bowl entrant from the NFC, the Los Angeles Rams, were third, the Patriots were fifth, the NFC runner-up Saints were sixth and the AFC runner-up Chiefs were 16th. So, three of the four conference championship entrants were in the top six in rushing yards.

Meanwhile, the Vikings were 30th in rushing yards and 27th in rushing attempts.

Yotter opined that the Vikings road contest against the Patriots to open December was “the most glaring example” of Minnesota’s “lack of a running game,” when the team averaged 7.3 yard per carry but ran the ball just 13 times.

“It really is game-dependent. There’s going to be some games where we’re going to have to throw the football more,” Zimmer said. “But if you’re not committed to running the ball, it’s not your mentality.

“I’ve talked to a couple coaches [at the annual league meetings last week]. Part of it is just the mentality of your football team,” he added. “The offensive and defensive lines and being physical, because that part of football is never going to change. It’s what I believe in.”