Major Responsibility Awaits Byron Murphy

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
na0yskmkfxnybzevapia

Byron Murphy has attached himself to the hip of Patrick Peterson during training camp.

The second-round draft pick is in awe of the way the Pro Bowl cornerback dominates against some of the best athletes in the world.

“I try to watch film with him so I can really break it down, because he makes it look easy,” Murphy said. “I’m going to keep watching him.”

Murphy has a few more weeks with Peterson, but soon, he will be on his own. Peterson will begin serving a six-week suspension when the regular season begins, which will bar him from the team facility.

For that month-and-a-half, Murphy is expected to play a significant role on defense. He has been the slot cornerback during first-team work in training camp, and is expected to line up there or at outside cornerback when the regular season begins, with veteran Tramaine Brock manning the other spot.

Murphy has been practicing both positions throughout camp.

“He’s getting there,” coach Kliff Kingsbury said. “It’s a completely new system for him and things are moving fast. We’re asking him to do a lot, when you talk about playing outside and inside for a young guy. He’s going to have go grow up fast with Pat’s situation, and he understands that. He’s come along. He’s a guy that the ball tends to find wherever he’s at. He’s kind of a playmaker. Did that at Washington and we’re hoping it continues here.”

Murphy is getting a trial by fire, often guarding players like Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk. He has won some battles – picking off a pass and dropping another in a recent practice – and has also taken his medicine at times.

“He’s having some ups and downs in practice, but that’s a good thing,” defensive coordinator Vance Joseph said. “Have them now rather than later. He’s fully engaged and wants to be good.”

Continue reading...