Mario Addison returns to football with a heavy heart

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
rusewfndsxsqxhvmlq69

CHARLOTTE – Mario Addison is a dynamic NFL edge rusher. He’s also a grieving brother.

And right now it’s hard to be both.

“I’m fair,” Addison said at his locker Thursday. “I can’t say I feel good. I can’t say I’m happy. I can’t say I’m sad or angry. I’m all of them. It can change every two minutes, you know what I’m saying?”

Addison’s younger brother Gjamal Antonio Rodriqcus was shot and killed in Birmingham, Alabama on the night of October 27th.

Addison was boarding the team’s flight home from San Francisco when he first got a call that something was wrong. He was in the air when he learned that his brother had passed.

Fellow edge rusher Bruce Irvin was next to Addison on the plane when the news was communicated.

“I ain’t cried in what, five years,” Irvin said. “When he found out, I was crying like a baby on the plane. That’s our guy. Trying to help (Mario) get past it and try to move on.”

Addison went home to Birmingham to be with his family last week, and he did not play in Carolina’s win over Tennessee. General manager Marty Hurney and executive director of football staff Mark Carrier attended the funeral.

“It meant a lot to me,” Addison said of the team’s support.