Mason's Mailbag: A look back at the Broncos' 1997 uniform change

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
cjbhvsa6shofavsomiwi

Then Smith saw the new look.

"I'm like, 'Y'all are going to those uniforms?'" Smith said. "And I looked at them and I'm like, 'Wow, man! That is bad-ass! I'm like, 'OK, let's do this, then!'"

Smith wasn't the only one who was impressed. On February 4, 1997 -- the day the uniform set was unveiled -- then-safety Steve Atwater told The Gazette-Telegraph, "I think a lot of fans have been prepared to hate the change. But now that everything is available for everybody to see, I hope people will look for themselves and make up their own mind. I think it's a change for the better."

Atwater added, "Navy blue looks meaner than orange."

Harald Hasselbach, a defensive lineman for the Broncos at the time, also told The Gazette-Telegraph that the then-new uniforms gave the Broncos "more of an imposing look ... it just looks more intimidating."

Since then, the Broncos have introduced an orange jersey to the ensemble. It made its debut in 2002, and after occasional use until 2011, became the primary home jersey in 2012 -- which was a reaction to fan outcry that hit a fever pitch in 2010, when the Broncos announced the intent to return to orange jerseys for most home games.