Mason's Mailbag: Newest Broncos get crash course in NFL 101

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
ervw56uxnicaan0d1mns

Mase, love your stuff. Where are all the team players now, who won the Super Bowl in 2015??? Really curious with the fantastic turnover that happens.

-- Robert Musser

Let's start with those who are still on the Broncos. Of the 69 players on the 53-man roster, practice squad and injured reserve at the end of that championship season, just seven remain with the team: ILB Todd Davis, CB Chris Harris Jr., K Brandon McManus, OLB Von Miller, WR Emmanuel Sanders, DE Derek Wolfe and TE Jeff Heuerman.

Twenty-six are still in the NFL, but currently with other teams. One is in the Canadian football League (DE George Uko, with the Ottawa Redblacks). Another played in the ill-fated Alliance of American Football: guard Robert "Quadzilla" Myers, with the Memphis Express. With the AAF now belly-up, Myers is one of 35 members of the Super Bowl 50 team who is out of football at the present time, although that tally includes free agents such as OLB Shane Ray, QB Brock Osweiler and S Darian Stewart, all of whom played last year and could land somewhere else in the coming weeks and months.

As Ferris Bueller said, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Dineen was my favorite undrafted pickup. Why did the Broncos target him?

-- Al Satterwhite

For myriad reasons, but scheme fit is essential. Dineen checks that box, in part because of the emphasis on zone coverage, and in part because the scheme will allow him to attack the line of scrimmage, especially against the run.

"I like how we're not necessarily set on one gap," Dineen said. "What [Herring] does -- he calls it a blue-back drill -- is you get to a stack position over the nose and the tackle, and then you hit the tackle, center or guard and you read the running back. And I like that.

"I think sometimes when you're just in the gap scheme, it kind of handicaps yourself -- and it handicaps my skill set. So being able to flow off the back is something that can really help me."