Matt LaFleur adjusting his routine after surgery

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ddrz0zwalnipgpoexqsy

GREEN BAY – Matt LaFleur was back at practice Tuesday with the help of golf cart and scooter after undergoing surgery on his torn left Achilles tendon Sunday in Green Bay.

The Packers’ head coach suffered the injury last week playing basketball in the Lambeau Field gymnasium. It had been a routine for him and his assistants to play a little in the evenings since most of their families have yet to move to Green Bay.

For Tuesday’s public OTA, LaFleur drove to the field with General Manager Brian Gutekunst after the team’s stretching period. He coached from the cart for the remainder of practice, with quarterback Aaron Rodgers and tight end Jimmy Graham being among those who walked over and talked with LaFleur between drills.

This week has been a challenge for a 39-year-old coach who’s used to being hands-on during practice. Through the Packers’ first few public practices, LaFleur routinely threw passes to receivers in individual periods.

“I definitely had to adjust my routine, but that’s why you have great assistant coaches because we’re all on the same page,” LaFleur said. “We communicate all the time, and I kind of let them know what the expectation is and whatnot. It does throw a little wrench, a little curveball at us right now. But you know, I think long term we won’t see any effects.”