Matt Rhule disappointed with starters' energy in last preseason practice

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
k6va0atzx4sy5sbsy6ox

Samuel noted that players will probably notice not having fans the most following a big moment.

"Sometimes you score a touchdown, or you make a play, you look at the crowd, and you start yelling, you expect the same type of response back," Samuel said. "When you don't get that, it's awkward."

Instead, players will have to be even more into the game on the sideline, encouraging their teammates when something good happens. Samuel related it to a high school or college atmosphere.

"I feel like that's going to help us keep that momentum in games," he said.

Now the Panthers have to reduce their roster by 27 players by Saturday's 4 p.m. cutdown deadline. A few cuts might come Friday night, but most will happen Saturday.

Those players on the bubble did at least leave a better impression on Rhule than the starters in the last practice.

"I thought the younger guys — the twos, and threes — played with energy and passion, and at times played well," Rhule said.

But if nothing else, Friday's practice was a lesson for what Panthers' starters have to be prepared for in nine days.

"I feel like we've learned from this situation and know what to look forward to coming next week," Samuel said. "(C)ome game day, it's just going to be us, and we've got to be able to create that type of energy for ourselves."