Maxx Williams Signs Two-Year Extension With Cardinals

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
e2zai9dsqmchopsdrwzj

When Kliff Kingsbury arrived in Arizona, the Cardinals weren’t expected to lean on the tight end position much.

But Kingsbury’s offense evolved. It made the offseason signing of Maxx Williams more important – and it made a two-year extension for the veteran, which he signed Saturday, an understandable first step in building the 2020 roster.

“I knew coach’s history and stuff but I knew it was a fresh opportunity for me,” Williams said earlier this season.

The deal puts Williams under contract through 2021.

In 10 games this season, Williams has made 11 catches for 139 yards and a touchdown, averaging a career-best 12.6 yards a reception. The confidence Kingsbury has in him was apparent last week, after Williams dropped a sure touchdown in Tampa because he lost the ball in the sun. Kingsbury defended Williams, saying “he has some of the best hands on the team.”

But Williams’ contributions mostly come outside the stat sheet. He has proven a reliable blocker, and has fit well into the locker room.

A former second-round pick of the Ravens in 2015, Williams also has a chance to play a full season for the first time in his career.

Continue reading...