Mike Pettine’s words pushed Montravius Adams to be better

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
warcnjnni47eb09lkxrx

“He pushed me to be better,” Adams said. “He told me when I first got here, I was just doing it boom, one play, two plays. He was like, 'Our goal is trying to get you to do it three plays, then go to five and just keep going.' … Whatever I can do to get on the field, I was gonna do it.”

After playing around 315 pounds last year, Adams says he reported back to training camp at around 298. Needless to say, the conditioning test was not an issue.

Montgomery was one of the first to notice the changes Adams made, playfully acknowledging how the 6-foot-3 defensive lineman “did what he said” in their first encounter last week.

While Pettine’s praise of Adams has garnered the biggest headlines this week, similar comments have made the rounds inside the Packers’ locker room all offseason regarding how far Adams has come in the span of a year.

Increased production has led to more opportunities, with Adams consistently lining up next to Kenny Clark and Dean Lowry with the first-team base defense through the 10-week offseason program and now the first week of camp.

“He’s started to put it all together,” offensive lineman Justin McCray said. “He’s super athletic with super strong, long arms. He’s pretty much what you want in a defensive lineman. I think now he’s just playing with that confidence. He knows he can be a guy in this defense.”

As far as X’s and O’s are concerned, Adams has been diligent in attacking the playbook dating back to last season when he’d be over at the house of fellow defensive lineman Tyler Lancaster studying plays.