Mike Zimmer's Daily Routine Features Football, Farming & Family

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
u5urk2nwosib6snoeihm

"I took a break this afternoon, then got on the tractor and got the fields ready to plant and then came up here for a defensive staff meeting," Zimmer added. "In the evenings, we just kind of hang out, build a fire, get take-out. We got a smoker, so Adam loves smoking stuff on the smoker. Then he'll go jump in the hot tub and I'll go watch Chicago PD or something."

Zimmer, who said two of his three children are with him at the ranch, said he feels lucky to have a property that includes plenty of wide-open spaces for activities that help him pass the time.

"I'm fortunate that I'm here in Kentucky and I have 160 acres that, in between meetings, I can go get on the tractor or go four-wheeling or fishing, or shoot guns or whatever," Zimmer said. "So, it's not like I'm totally quarantined, even though I am.

"We built a golf course, so [Adam is] playing golf, too," Zimmer later added. "We've got one green and four tee boxes, but you can hit driver. We've got like a driving range, too."

Despite being able to partake in some leisure activities around the ranch, Zimmer made it clear that he would prefer to be fully focused on football right now.

He believes the Vikings roster is "in good shape," especially with a bevy of veterans returning on offense. And with some fresh faces on defense, Zimmer said he welcomed the challenge of maintaining the level of play he's built since arriving in 2014.

Most of all, however, he misses the men he bonds with each and every season.

"I really miss being around the players," Zimmer said. "Talking to them on the computer of the iPad or whatever is not the same, because I want to get out there and coach them, correct them, teach them … try to build the camaraderie we need with the football team. Unfortunately, we're not able to do that.

"I really missing being around the players," Zimmer added. "They're probably going to get an extra dose of me when they get back."