Mike Zimmer's Steady Hand Helping Turn Vikings Ship

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
i8f9h3qwe2wzjenprdgb

Aside from not allowing a single third-down conversion to Seattle in Week 5, Minnesota did its best work in its most-recent game against Chicago, as the Vikings held the Bears to just two conversions on 11 tries.

"We were able to change up the looks on them … we gave them some pressure looks, we gave them some coverage looks," said Adam Zimmer, the Vikings Co-Defensive Coordinator and linebackers coach. "I think that's one area that we work extremely hard on every week. We walk through a bunch of third-down plays.

"We study the third downs several times a week just trying to get the best plan for how to attack these guys, and it's been really successful for us in the past," Adam Zimmer added. "All of us sit in there together and come up with best plan to attack them on third downs and that's why I think we've had so much success on third downs around here over the years."

Zimmer said he's tried to keep a steady hand this season, which hasn't been easy as the Vikings (and all other NFL teams) navigated a virtual offseason and COVID-19 protocols on what has been a unique year to say the least.

He's also continued to rely on an old friend in Hall of Famer coach Bill Parcells. The two coached in Dallas together from 2003-06, and stay in regular contact.

Zimmer said while Parcells never had to coach through a pandemic, he always enjoys the advice and banter.

"He called me a couple times [Tuesday], I believe. I talk to him every week," Zimmer said. "He has never been through it, these kinds of things we're going through, so he doesn't really talk to me about that kind of stuff. I kind of talk to him about some of that.

"But for instance, the other night — this is something I'll throw out there — he said, 'I really loved your uniforms the other night.' I said, 'Why, Coach?' " Zimmer explained. "He said when he was a young coach, they told him if you wear all-white at night and you're on the road, that your offense can see the uniforms better and you can perform better. I thought that was kind of interesting, but those are some of the things he talks about."

With seven games to go, the Vikings aren't about to start making plans for the playoffs anytime soon. But if they can keep up their recent intensity and winning ways, perhaps Zimmer will get his fourth chance to coach in the playoffs.

You can bet the Vikings will be following his lead, just as they've done in recent weeks.