Mike Zimmer Provides Update on Vikings Virtual Offseason Program, Players' At-Home Workouts

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
i1v22kjggzxxhqdhgc6n

"The unfortunate part is that if they're doing it wrong, we can't correct it unless they [film] it," he added.

Zimmer did say that although the rookies are behind based on the circumstances, the virtual meetings have been going well for all parties.

He schedules offensive meetings to take place first, followed by special teams and then by defense, and he's able to "join" position meetings from his own computer at will.

"I can click on a room and listen to the quarterbacks and the wide receivers. I can click on a room and listen to the offensive line or the whole group. Then I can go to special teams. I can go to the different positions on the defense," Zimmer said. "I've been really impressed with the way the coaches have been teaching, the details they're talking about, the concepts and ideas of why we're trying to run this or that."

Are certain positions more hindered by the lack of in-person practices?

Zimmer emphasized that the entire team would benefit from hands-on coaching; he's looking forward to being at that point eventually because, as he explained, each position comes with its own set of technicalities.

That being said, however, there is a difference between the ways offensive and defensive players prepare.

"Whether it's the receiver's route depth or how he runs the route … we can talk to them about getting lined up or being in the right formation and plays and running the right route," Zimmer said. "But having the timing with Kirk [Cousins], hearing the cadence and all the things when they get ready to snap the ball [is important]."

On the defensive side, it's more about reactions, which Zimmer pointed out is harder to simulate in a solo setting. And he later added that it's tough to improve coverage skills without practicing them with another person.

"It's really hard when they're by themselves and they're not able to really work on the skill of covering a receiver," Zimmer said. "The receivers can run routes all day long, and it's pretty simple for them. Running backs, it's pretty simple for them. But defensively because of the reactions … all those things become more difficult when you're by yourself."