Mile High Morning: Broncos' selection of Jerry Jeudy earns high grades from NFL analysts, Hall of Famers

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
wekeeevuie9tgeagd83f

The Lead

Drafting Jerry Jeudy in the first round would have been surprising enough.

But to not have to trade up to get him? Now that was shocking — and a delight for Broncos fans and NFL analysts.

"For Drew Lock, Christmas just came early," The Ringer's Danny Kelly wrote as he gave the Broncos an A-plus grade. "Jeudy is the best route runner in this class, capable of separating with lightning-quick feet and explosive short-area quickness. The former Crimson Tide star is a big-play creator who makes would-be tacklers miss with rare suddenness and cut-on-a-dime change-of-direction skills. … Denver's skill position group is quickly turning into one of the most exciting units in the league. Jeudy came in no. 7 on my Big Board, so I love the value here, too."

Dan Kadar, the lead NFL Draft analyst for SB Nation also gave the pick an A-plus.

"This pick was a steal for the Broncos," he wrote. "Jeudy was the best wide receiver in the draft, and he shouldn't have lasted until the 15th pick. … He can play on the outside or in the slot for the Broncos, and he has good speed too. Jeudy has very few flaws in his game."

Denver Post writers who cover the Broncos came together to give the Broncos straight-As for the selection of Jeudy. As beat writer Ryan O'Halloran wrote, "Quarterback Drew Lock should be happy." They may not be A-pluses, but I'll take it.

NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal says Drew Lock and John Elway are among his clear winners of the draft through one round. "My favorite receiver in this draft, Jeudy has footwork that pops off the screen," Rosenthal wrote. "He can line up anywhere, in any offense, with an ability to get open that is reminiscent of Antonio Brown."

Speaking of NFL comparisons, Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated said he's heard Marvin Harrison's name mentioned as a comparison for Jeudy. Can't be mad at that.

What's even better is seeing that a couple NFL legends are in Jeudy's corner as he enters his NFL career.