Mile High Morning: What is it that makes Javonte Williams such a dangerous back?

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
fejuossyn7l95wawyjkc

"I don't know if I've been around a more well-rounded back," North Carolina offensive coordinator Phil Longo told The Athletic's Nick Kosmider. "He can block; he can run inside, can run outside. He can run over you or go by you. He can catch the ball out of the backfield. And then you add it to the fact that he's as high character a kid as I've ever coached. We've had some really, really good ones now. But if he married my daughter, I'd be elated. He's that kind of kid."

It's remarkable too that Williams hasn't been doing this for all that long. He began playing running back only as a high school senior after transitioning from linebacker.

Kosmider tracks this development in Williams' path to the pros; he only received an offer to play at UNC after rushing for 207 yards in the 2A state championship game at Chapel Hill's Kenan Memorial Stadium. In college, Williams split carries with fellow 2021 draftee Michael Carter, which makes Williams an outlier among the top three running backs taken in the draft. His 336 carries are nearly half of Harris' number (638) and less than half of Etienne's (686).

"It's basically like he's a (college) freshman," Williams' high school coach told Kosmider. "He's just getting started."