Monday Morning Mailbag: Assessing Young Cornerbacks & a Hall of Fame Debate

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
jvrfmywhaq5nobzjzdng

Marcus Sayles is an interesting name, in my opinion. He exceled in the Canadian Football League, and will be given a chance to show his skills in the NFL. Other youngsters such as Mark Fields, Kemon Hall and Nate Meadors could be counted upon to provide depth on special teams and challenge for the final roster spots.

The drafted rookies could all fight for playing time. We'll have a deeper dive on this soon on Vikings.com, but Jeff Gladney, Cameron Dantzler and Harrison Hand all have the traits and skills that could fit with Mike Zimmer's scheme. Gladney, being a first-rounder, could be thrown into the mix to start right away, either in the slot or on the outside.

Nevelle Clarke was added as an undrafted free agent, but there was some buzz about him when he signed. He played with Hughes in college, so perhaps that helps his transition.

This group is the biggest X-factor for the Vikings heading into 2020. The established veterans are gone, and it's now up to the young guys to step up and play well.

Here's a fun one. Vikings tackles Gary Zimmerman and Ron Yary, guards Randall McDaniel and Steve Hutchinson and center Mick Tingelhoff are all enshrined in Canton. Zimmerman and Yary played left and right tackle, respectively. But both McDaniel and Hutch played left guard. If you lined up that HOF OL as a unit, which guard would you move to right guard? And why? Would the odd pre-snap stance McDaniel used be a factor?

— Jeff Kilty in Sacramento

Love this question, Jeff. The Vikings certainly have a strong history of great offensive linemen, and hopefully the young players on the roster today — Brian O'Neill, Garrett Bradbury and Ezra Cleveland — become anchors on the line for years to come. I'm not saying they are going to be Hall of Famers, but they could be the building blocks for the line for the next decade or so.

As for your question, I'd move Hutch to right guard. Why? Because I don't think you can move McDaniel, a man who started 188 games, made 11 Pro Bowls and was a seven-time All-Pro in Purple. Hutch was a stellar left guard in his own right, but since his Vikings career was shorter than McDaniel, he can slide to the right. And no, the pre-snap stance for McDaniel wouldn't bother me. Whatever did he worked just fine.

Side note: McDaniel explained the origin of his stance as part of a tribute to Vikings original athletic trainer Fred Zamberletti in 2018.

The line of Zimmerman, McDaniel, Tingelhoff, Hutchinson and Yary would be a nightmare for an opposing defense. I can easily imagine the Vikings pounding the ball on the ground all game long. Imagine if Adrian Peterson ran behind this line? Or if Fran Tarkenton was under center? And you know that line would give any QB time to look for Randy Moss, Cris Carter or Steve Jordan down the field.

One can dream, right?