Monday Morning Mailbag: Klint Kubiak's 2021 Offensive Vision & Draft Quality vs. Quantity

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
douuexrynvapjrdrjlda

I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings pass percentage was a little higher in 2021 for a few reasons. For one, the duo of Adam Thielen and Justin Jefferson means Cousins has a pair of established top-end receivers.

Plus, with Cook amassing a hefty 312 carries in 2020, Kubiak could be creative in finding other ways to get him the ball rather than just handoffs.

That's a long way of saying that while Minnesota's overall offensive scheme is expected to generally be the same in 2021 as it was in 2020, perhaps we see some modernized wrinkles now that the 34-year-old Kubiak is in charge.

There are all kinds of opinions on what Vikings should/will do in 2021 draft. I feel as though a trade down in the first round would be OK to pick up a pick in the second round. But after that, I think Rick Spielman should package a number of remaining picks to attain additional second and third-round picks. The team is getting younger and won't have space on roster/practice squad for another 8-10 mid-to-late round developmental players. We have to get at least one offensive & defensive lineman capable of starting this year … as well as a safety that can fill in this year and start by next. There is a time to draft quantity, and a time for quality. The Vikings are in need of immediate starter players at key positions.

— Dale Kruse in Decorah, Iowa

Dale lays out a good point, and one that other Vikings fans have also echoed in recent weeks.

Minnesota currently has 10 draft selections (not including compensatory picks) as of Monday morning. That haul includes a first-rounder (No. 14), a pair of third-rounders (Nos. 79 and 90), plus a trio of fourth-round selections.