Monday Morning Mailbag: Options at No. 14 & Finding 2nd-Rounder Via Trade

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
ibyrnynijqo7gubbm1pk

But let's get into a possible trade scenario, and let's aim for trying to get Miami's 50th overall pick, which would provide the Vikings with a second-rounder.

In this scenario, and assuming no other trades, the Dolphins would still make their picks at Nos. 6, 18 and 36, and the Vikings would still make their pick at No. 14. (While Minnesota could certainly trade back from 14 to 18 and perhaps get the 50th pick, Gerald asked about trading up with the collection of mid-rounds picks the Vikings have, so I'll try to do that).

Based on the draft trade value chart, the 50th pick is worth exactly 400 points. Minnesota's pair of third-round picks are worth 340 total points, as the 78th pick is 200 points and No. 90 is 140 points.

Given the Vikings needs across the roster, I doubt Spielman will want to part with both of them. But let's put the 78th pick in the trade scenario for now.

In the fourth round, I'm also throwing in picks No. 119 (56 points) and No. 143 (35 points), to bring our draft value to 291 points. I'm also going to incentivize the offer by adding a 2022 fifth-rounder.

So the Vikings would get the 50th overall pick here, while giving up a third-rounder, two fourths and a future fifth. Minnesota would then be able to get to make two selections in the top 50, potentially to help out both sides of the ball.

For what it's worth, this proposed trade was accepted by the Dolphins in the Pro Football Focus Mock Draft Simulator. Minnesota gained a pick worth 400 points but did not give up an equal amount, but Miami would now have seven total picks in the top 150 spots based on our deal.