Monday Morning Mailbag: Paton's Departure & Vikings Draft Needs

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
gdawrgmo48t1gjvqmpzk

How big of a loss is George Paton going to the Broncos? I'd never really heard much about what he did.

— Jim Jenkins

I'll be frank in starting this Mailbag out … George's departure is a huge loss for the Vikings. Yes, many people may not have known what he did on a day-to-day basis, but just because he was mostly behind the scenes doesn't mean he didn't make a massive impact.

Look back at the Vikings draft history over the years. No team is ever perfect in the draft, but Minnesota has drafted 16 Pro Bowlers since Paton arrived in 2007. The list includes key players ranging from Adrian Peterson, to Kyle Rudolph, Harrison Smith, Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter and Justin Jefferson. Paton had a hand in making sure they ended up in Purple.

Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman explained last week how the Vikings were going to fill Paton's void.

"We're going to stay status quo. I know I have a lot of very talented people in this building," Spielman said. "I know it's a hard void to fill, but I also have a lot of confidence in the people that I have in this building and of all of us."

Spielman also noted that Minnesota's loss is Denver's gain. While the Vikings will certainly miss Paton, I can't think of anyone in the organization who isn't happy for Paton and his family.

From a personal standpoint, Paton was always great to me. We bonded as being a couple of Southern California guys in frigid Minnesota and I'll always remember chatting with Paton about Kobe Bryant and the Lakers after the basketball star's tragic passing almost a year ago.

So yes, Paton's voice and expertise will be missed in Minnesota. But when a guy spends 14 seasons with one team and gives his all to that franchise, you can't be anything but happy for him when he's rewarded with a GM job.