Monday Morning Mailbag: Salary Cap Cause and Effect of Vikings Moves

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
hwzasv2u1uvxyhwgmewu

The schedule's 17th game (if and when it is announced) should all take place in Week 1 in international stadiums. That solves the travel and home/away concerns, plus has the added benefit of drawing international fans at the very beginning of the season. The league is likely to hold those fans while gaining more through the season. I can't think of too many serious flaws here. I understand COVID-19 throws a caution into any stadium and travel plans, but wouldn't international markets want an NFL game? Wouldn't the TV money and other revenues make it a financial win? What am I missing?

— Jeff Kilty in Sacramento, California

Let me start by saying that I do like Jeff's proposal of having each team start the season in a unique location, although that would require impressive logistical gymnastics from the league at multiple spots around the globe with timing, security, accommodations, etc.

And yes, the league is always looking for ways to broaden the popularity of NFL football in international markets. From personal experience, the atmosphere at the Vikings 2017 game in London was great, even if the temporary press box was a little chilly.

However, I don't think anything like Jeff's idea that would be feasible for at least five years or so as we try to return to a somewhat normal world due to COVID. Many NFL teams, including the Vikings, didn't even have fans at their own home games this past season, and getting them back is likely the No. 1 priority for those teams.

The news from last week that the State of Minnesota is loosening stadium capacity restrictions is a positive sign that fans will hopefully be at U.S. Bank Stadium in the fall.

Here's part of what the team said in a statement:

The Vikings top priority in 2021 is to safely welcome fans back to U.S. Bank Stadium, and [this] news is a significant step toward our goal of hosting a full stadium this fall. We recognize, however, that in order to return to all the things we enjoy doing, including attending professional sporting events, we must see continued success with vaccinations. We encourage all Minnesotans to get vaccinated as soon as they are eligible.

Let's focus on finding some sense of normalcy around the league, before we start scheming up grand ideas across the globe.