Monday Morning Mailbag: What's Next for Vikings in Free Agency?

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
fqtmxlzi5jcsiy72v42u

Well, there's no question the Vikings have placed a premium focus on defense with the additions of cornerbacks Patrick Peterson, plus defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson.

If you're looking for positions to watch over the next month or so, I'd put the offensive line and defensive end at the top of the list.

The Vikings are still trying to sort out their offensive line, but the good news is that they still have plenty of time to do so. Perhaps a star offensive lineman at No. 14 helps solves that puzzle, along with a promising pass rusher on Day 2.

We're still four-plus weeks from the 2021 NFL Draft, and lots can happen between now and then.

OK, we addressed a lot in free agency, so I can see a top WR at pick 14. Should we take him or not?

— Warren W.

Warren's projected scenario didn't mention a specific WR prospect, but for the sake of this Mailbag, let's assume that any of the consensus top trio of Ja'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith are still there at No. 14.

Would the Vikings take one of them? I wouldn't give it high odds, but I also wouldn't bet against it.

As we mentioned above, nearly all of the Vikings focus in free agency has been on the defense. But getting a first-round talent to be your No. 3 wide receiver behind Adam Thielen and Justin Jefferson would seem like a home run to me.

That rookie wide receiver wouldn't be expected to light it up like Jefferson did in 2020, but he could come along at his own pace and also give new Offensive Coordinator Klint Kubiak an added asset in the passing game.

And while I do like the idea of surrounding Kirk Cousins with more playmakers, he'll need protection in order to get them the ball. So while it's fun to dream of this scenario, my guess is that if the Vikings find themselves here, they might be able to trade back and still get a first-round offensive lineman, while also possibly adding a second-round pick.